Australian Prisoners

Lt Kije

Australian prisoners working in a salt mine earn £9.00 per hour

The UK minimum wage is £6.31 per hour

Discuss :wink:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/10/australian-prisoners-salt-mines

Having been down what was ICI's rock salt mine at Winsford a number of times, those prisoners are welcome to it!, after one particular visit, an engineer I had worked alongside at ICI's Runcorn site offered me a job down there, my answer was a very prompt "thank you for the offer but no thank you".

Australian prisoners working in a salt mine earn £9.00 per hour

The UK minimum wage is £6.31 per hour

Discuss :wink:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/10/australian-prisoners-salt-mines

Sounds like a good idea to send the prisoners to work in the salt mines especially as the article says they were struggling to recruit 'normal' people to work there.  I wonder how much the offered rate was to other folk as it could have been a lot more... who knows ?

It also says that 'they get paid wages of about A$16 (£9) an hour and are allowed to keep A$44 a week as spending money.'  So after a hard weeks graft they get about £25 to keep as spends (is that right with the exchange rate.. although I don't see why they need or should get spends !!)  and out of the remainder earned the government makes deductions, including jail costs and a 5% donation to a victims' assistance fund.

Still sounds like a good idea to me.

Whatever is left (and it doesn't say how much so could only be a couple of pounds) is placed into a trust that is paid when the prisoner is released.... maybe they wont get released as they might not survive the hard graft of working down the desolate salt mines :wink:

Is that 'ARE', as in 'OUR' ??    

Good job you've never read all my posts Mark7 as if you have a issue with people's typos and mis spellings mine could keep you busy for many many months and I can't blame it on predictive text as I never use my mobile or other posh devices on here... just my pc. 

Happy checking as I've just gone over the 17000 mark now :)   

Good job you've never read all my posts Mark7 as if you have a issue with people's typos and mis spellings mine could keep you busy for many many months and I can't blame it on predictive text as I never use my mobile or other posh devices on here... just my pc. 

Happy checking as I've just gone over the 17000 mark now :)   

It's only the eltee that amuses me. 

Kije: 1) the Ozzies are already over here, just watch BBC 24hr news, especially the sport presenters! 2) The Ozzies have as big an immigration problem as we do, so why would I go there - mind you, they seem to be doing something about it? 3) We could of course transfer our 2million or so meercats to help dig their salt, and the other million or so "illegals" could be diverted to new guinea !