Stockton Heath a Village?

Coffee

Coffee, it's not unique, there are other areas within the Warrington boundary - Latchford, Grappenhall, Thelwall, Walton, Croft, Glazebrook, Penketh, Sankey etc., all are civil parishes and villages in there own right. Longford, Orford, Bewsey, Howley, Bank Quay etc. have been absorbed into the Warrington Town boundary  and have lost there village status. Historically Orford, Bewsey and Longford were very important parts of the town having there own lords of the manor who were responsible for the running of Warrington and during the, 18th and 19th centuries developed into the major industrial sectors of Warrington providing work for the townspeople whereas Thelwall, Grappenhall, Walton, Stockton Heath and other outlying villages contained farming communities who were extremely poor and basically lived off the land.

People refer to Latchford as a village, but I don't think it was ever a civil parish. And I think it is just the shopping area that is referred to as a village.  Lymm's shopping area is also referred to as "the village" but in fact, prior to local government reorganisation in 1974, Lymm was a town, with its own urban district council.  Again, when people talk about Grappenhall village, they are referring to the old village area near the church rather than the whole parish, which actually now also includes Thelwall, which also has an area known as the village.

But what's in a name anyway? Warrington is sometimes linked with cities even though it failed in its bid to become one. And it is considerably bigger than some cities.

People refer to Latchford as a village, but I don't think it was ever a civil parish. And I think it is just the shopping area that is referred to as a village.  Lymm's shopping area is also referred to as "the village" but in fact, prior to local government reorganisation in 1974, Lymm was a town, with its own urban district council.  Again, when people talk about Grappenhall village, they are referring to the old village area near the church rather than the whole parish, which actually now also includes Thelwall, which also has an area known as the village.

But what's in a name anyway? Warrington is sometimes linked with cities even though it failed in its bid to become one. And it is considerably bigger than some cities.

Yup, very true. People down here nearly keel over with shock when I tell them Warrington is bigger than Norwich! The town I live in has a smaller population than most of the Warrington 'villages' yet people get very sniffy if I refer to Diss as a village and will very quickly tell me it's a town!

Why does everyone refer to Stockton Heath as a village when clearly it is a district of Warrington, no more a village then Latchford or Penketh or anyother district of Warrington?

Curious?

Personally I've always just referred to the central shopping/eating area as the Village and the rest (ie the housing areas etc as simply Stockton Heath. 

I guess it just retained its 'village' name status from years ago though when it really was a proper little rural village community surrounded by open fields which were gradually built on as it grew and grew. 

It used to be a hamlet (a small settlement) but then grew into a village (a more clustered human settlement/community) as more people started to live there.  It hasn't always been part of Warrington.  Same the same still can't be said :wink:

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stockton Heath like this:

STOCKTON-HEATH, a village in Great Budworth parish, and a chapelry partly also in Runcorn parish, Cheshire. The village stands on the Bridgewater canal, 1 mile S of Warrington r. station; has a post-office under Warrington, and a police station with lock-up; and carries on extensively a manufacture of spades. The chapelry was constituted in 1838. Pop., 1,763. Houses, 375. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £120. Patrons, Messrs. Greenall. . The church was built in 1826. There is a Methodist chapel.

Here is how the little village of Stockton Heath has grown since 1877........

Edit.....I'VE DONE SOMETHING WRONG SO YOU MIGHT HAVE TO CLICK ON IT TO MAKE IT SCROLL THROUGH......  (it's rather boring though anyway :lol: ) 

changingstocktonheathgif_zpsbf31223d.gif

Egbert this may clear the conundrum up for you.

Parish History

Latchford was a chapelry to Grappenhall's Ancient Parish, which included Latchford and Thelwall, Cheshire and Warrington, Lancashire. Thus the chapelry, built in 1777, was ecclesiastically partly in Cheshire and partly in Lancashire. In 1796 the part of Latchford that was ecclesiastically in Lancashire became Latchford, St. James ecclesiastical parish. In 1866, the part of Latchford chapelry that was ecclesiastically in Cheshire became Latchford Christ Church ecclesiastical parish.

Its name came from Anglo-Saxon Læccford = "Boggy-stream ford".

Latchford was originally a township in the ancient parish of Grappenhall, in Cheshire. It was also part of Bucklow Hundred, and was close to the border with Lancashire.

Between 1894 and 1974, part of Latchford was placed within the County Borough of Warrington, and the registration county of Lancashire, whilst the rest of Latchford became a civil parish named "Latchford Without" and was transferred to Lancashire.

With the local government reforms of 1974, as part of the newly formed Cheshire borough of Warrington, Latchford was tranferred back to Cheshire.

Latchford is a suburban district and electoral ward of the unitary borough of Warrington, in Cheshire, England. It is around one mile south of Warrington town centre.

:lol:  :lol:  to Gary, Tracey, Coffee and Cleo. :lol:

Gary... from that we see and hear about especially at the weekends  (and more so now the sun is out) maybe you should change it to "Village 'idiot' life" ha ha    :wink:

Actually.... Coffee there has always been a village green of sorts, well if you count Mill Lane Field for starters with it's aged covenant from when it was kindly bequeathed to the people of Stockton Heath by the Greenall's . 

Far to many 'green' area's in and around SH and everywhere else though if you ask me though especially at this time of the year.  :wink: