Photos In The Countryside From A Warringtonian.

algy

Two photos taken by me  yesterday 09/06/12, I posted these specially for my mate Horace!.

P1000427_zpsa94af0cd.jpg

Middle horse say to horse on the right - "Thats the worst of being thoroughbread our legs are longer than his!"

P1000422_zpsb95caff7.jpg

"Mmm! I've been waiting all winter for this!".

NB. Horses should not eat young oak leaves as they are poisonous as they contain tanic acid and can become highly addictive. (Source - Google).

WOW.  They are stunning pics Algy.

I love horses, where are they as I might have a wander later.

Hope they don't fall in like our dog does whenever she tries to drink the dirty canal water.

Your captions made me giggle :lol:

Dizz, I don't think even you would walk to where I took those, they were in a field at the side of the canal near Barbridge. When I enlarged the one of the horse under the oak tree, I don't think it was eating leaves, just scratching his jaw or nose on a branch as it's mouth is not open.

Darren, thanks for your remark.

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't it something to do with a pig stealing things during the construction ? 

My Dad was caretaker there at some point in the 60s , my sister and i were at St Oswalds school and lived at that time in Golbourne road ( the house is long gone) I thought the church and surroundings looked very nice after all these years though i thought Hollins Lane was looking a bit sad .

On the upside Burger King in Delph lane got extra business :)

The story goes that the church was to be built in a different spot but a pig kept picking up stones to be used in the construction and carrying them to another spot, where the church is now standing, having decided it was sign that it should be buit there, crying wee wee, which they took to sound like winwick.

The story goes that the church was to be built in a different spot but a pig kept picking up stones to be used in the construction and carrying them to another spot, where the church is now standing, having decided it was sign that it should be buit there, crying wee wee, which they took to sound like winwick.

Nice piece of historical information Cleo.

I read that too online too but I did wonder about it's substance and merit. 

The church is clearly built of (possibly sandstone or other)  large stone blocks and I doubt that any little roaming piggy could have picked them up and carried them to a newer place.    How big are pigs mouths by the way and how strong are their jaws ?  Maybe I will be somewhat surprised by the answers :wink::lol:  

I thought everyone knew the story. While I cannot vouch for it's veracity, I do remember a teacher telling us the story when I was at school hrrrmp years ago and I have read the same explanation several times since in the past.

As for the size of the stones, well, maybe if not in the walls, smaller stones would have been used in the construction of the foundation/floor?

Well just found this. Judging by the picture that accompanied it, it was a big stone so must have been a ruddy big pig to have been strong enough to carry it, regardless  of the size of it's mouth.

Legend says that Winwick at the time of the Kings death was just a small clearing with a few huts as dwellings, a small church was built near to where the King had died.  Travellers would leave tributes to the hero on a stone that mark the spot were the King had fallen. One day it was decided that they would build a bigger and better church for St Oswald.

The stone masons laid new foundations on the original site of the old small church, but one night a pig was seen to be running to the site of the new church crying ‘we-ee-wick’ and then he took up a stone in his mouth and carried it to the spot where King Oswald had died, the pig then remove all the stones that the stone masons had laid that day.  In the morning when the village elders gathered they were amazed at what had happened and thought it was an omen, they decided that they would build the church on the hill where the pig had taken all the stones.  In memory of the pig they craved his form into the stone that had marked where the King had died. In the 14th Century the church was re-built in stone, that very stone was built into the tower and is still there to this very day…….well thats what the Legend says……..

Aha! The stone with the pig carving is not one that the pig had carried but was in fact one that the people of the time had previously placed to mark where the king had fallen in battle and where they laid tributes to him. The builders of the church now standing at Winwick decided to incorporate that stone into the new, at that time, church, the effigy of the pig having previously been carved onto it. And the replaced church must have been built of a material other than stone such as wood or maybe even mud.

The stones were probably moved by the villagers who did not want the church built on the site on which the stone masons had been instructed to lay the stones and during the night the locals moved them to the site on the hill where the church now stands and the village elders concocted the story about the pig moving them, the stone masons who came from Liverpool and had been in 'Swan Inn' that evening and all had massive hangovers believed the elders and so built the church on the hill. :wink: