Queen Street.

algy

Thanks Algy, Queens Street it was. Interesting to see the Fair Ground listed. The last time that I went to the fair there was Walking Day, 1953. Do they still use it?

Was the school St Barnabus? The brewery would have been right on the little back door of the market - I never saw anything there in the fifties.

Stallard, the fairground and fire station disappeared with the building of the Golden Square shopping precinct (Mall) and would have been about where Warrington bus station is now. According to Slaters Directory of 1895 the brewery I was originally asking about was - Peter Walker & Son Limited. (Warrington& Burton), brewers. I'm afraid at the moment I can't give the name of the school, however I shall work on it. I shall also endeavor to find out when the brewery ceased operating for Harry.

Are we talking Heathside school. Think we could all write a book about the potato market.

If I can digress a little. My first day on the beat I was asked directions to Queen street. I got my street guide out, off so and so; off so and so. After about two minutes I worked out we were standing in it.

Happy days

Hers's something that Harry can relate too, very topical too I believe. In the early fifties I was a devout cyclist. Every day out on the bike. One Sunday evening, with no other traffic in sight, I rode up to the stop sign at Mersey Street / Manchester Rd. intersection. Because the road was empty, I touched my toe and rode through. It was then that I saw the 'bobby' standing on the opposite sidewalk. He waved me over and took down all of my 'particulars' - didn't come to a complete stop. That was at seven o'clock in the evening, I got home to Oakwood Ave, about seven thirty. I was met by my irate parents !!! A police car had already been to the house to verify my address !!! Another twelve year old bandit thwarted.

Bobbies on the beat. What a good memory. We lost a lot when all the police amalgamations came in. That is partly (small partly) to blame for some of our current troubles.

Re the offence. The only way in olden days to check someones name and address was a personal visit. Some people would say it's a lot of fuss over almost nothing. I would argue that is a good case of keeping law and order, although a warning would suffice, unless the individual was cheeky.

Happy days

Update on the school and brewerey in the Golborne Street/Heathside area at the side of the Potato Market. Harry you are spot on, the school was Heathside although it's correct name was St. Pauls, Heathside:-

St. Paul's (boys), Heath side, built in 1853, for 750 children;

average attendance", 405. David William Finney" master;(in 1895).

The Brewery on Flag Lane was Peter Walker & Son's. According to information from the Cheshire Archives ceased trading there about 1804/5,(probably moved to larger premises in Dallam Lane).

Title deeds: former King Street Brewery, now known as 49 Golborne Street, Warrington.

Date: 1805-1936

Description: Property formerly described as brewery, malt house, houses and other buildings at Heathside, bounded by Flag Lane on south side. The premises were sold to Warrington Corporation by Peter Walker and Sons. Several deeds include a ground plan of the premises.

The old map brought back a lot of memories as did the name Cunningham's Brewery where my father used to be the night watchman and yes that was just off Winwick Road just before where Polar Ford is now.

Question though? where the heck to you find these maps Algy? I'd love to see some of these for other areas of the town.

Bill :)

The old map brought back a lot of memories as did the name Cunningham's Brewery where my father used to be the night watchman and yes that was just off Winwick Road just before where Polar Ford is now.

Question though? where the heck to you find these maps Algy? I'd love to see some of these for other areas of the town.

Quite a bit of research over the years and recently, scanning, here's a few more to get your teeth into Bill.

MapofWarrington1772.jpg

MapofWarrington1850theareaoffRoseCrownstreet.jpg

MapofWarrington1850.jpg

MapofWarrington1850MarketplaceGoldenSquare.jpg

MapofWarrington1850CockhedgeareaNaylorStreet.jpg

MapofWarrington1850BridgeStreetFriarsGatearea.jpg

MapofWarrington1845BankQuay.jpg

MapofWarrington1893TownCentre.jpg

MapofWarrington1893.jpg

1895-1900

MapofWarringtonHallWard.jpg

MAPS CONTINUED.......

What I’d really like to see would be some old maps of where I live now or where I grew up as a lad. Now most of what I can see here and the links that Diz put up, everything seems to be in Cheshire but of course back then, us poor beggars on the other side of the river were classed as being in Lancashire. So, is there an equivalent website for Lancashire because if there is, I can’t find it?

What I’d really like to see would be some old maps of where I live now or where I grew up as a lad. Now most of what I can see here and the links that Diz put up, everything seems to be in Cheshire but of course back then, us poor beggars on the other side of the river were classed as being in Lancashire. So, is there an equivalent website for Lancashire because if there is, I can’t find it?

Tell me what area you are interested in Bill as Lancashire is quite a large county, incidentally most of the above maps are of old Warrington which at that time was in Lancashire.

Algy's right there Bill... Warrington was Lancashire. Gets a bit confusing at times though cos part of Stockton Heath was in the Parish of Great Budworth, part was in Appleton, then various roads out of Warrington towards Latchford were classed as latchford, Grappenhall, Thelwall but we now know them as Latchford OR elsewhere. Same goes for a lot of other 'local' places.

A lot were part of Runcord Rural District too... so Warrington was also Runcorn... makes it a pain in the you know where to search for historical stuff that's for sure.

PS Algy ... do you have a map or photo's pre 1896 which shows Knutsford Road near to the town centre of the old cottages which used to be there before the current ones dated 1896 that are there now ? Ta

Amazingly Dizzy I do know what county I was born in and where the boarders were because unlike you, I was around when it all changed. :wink::P

Algy

I live in the Paddington area now, just behind the Paddington House Hotel but before that, I spent 25 years a little further up the road at in Woolston. My childhood days in the fifties though were in the then newly created council estates of Orford (Small Avenue to be precise) and this is the area that interests me the most.

I’ve seen some oldish maps of this area but they didn’t show much and what they did show wasn't very clear.

Amazingly Dizzy I do know what county I was born in and where the boarders were because unlike you, I was around when it all changed. :wink::P

Algy

I live in the Paddington area now, just behind the Paddington House Hotel but before that, I spent 25 years a little further up the road at in Woolston. My childhood days in the fifties though were in the then newly created council estates of Orford (Small Avenue to be precise) and this is the area that interests me the most.

I’ve seen some oldish maps of this area but they didn’t show much and what they did show wasn't very clear.

Bill this is the best I can do at short notice, 1894 - Orford, predominately agricultural. I shall see what more I can find to-morrow.

1894Orford.jpg

Thanks for showing the old maps algy, whilst you are looking at more for Orford I wonder if you have what I would think is the section below the Orford map you have put up. ie contains the junction of Padgate Lane, Oakwood Ave and Orford Rd as it is now.

Thanks for that Algy I really do appreciate you taking the trouble to do that for me and that’s just about the best I’ve seen so far. I spent another couple more hours last night trawling the net but maps of that area are definitely in short supply.

As kids, we’d go out exploring the area and I have fairly good memories of what was there back then. There were plently of fields as you’d expected, in fact from an agricultural area and in fact, a favourite meeting place of ours used to be what we called “the old contraption” which was some kind of agricultural equipment that had been left in one of the fields.

I did manage to do some reading up on Orford Old Hall, which was located in what we now know as Orford Park. Interestingly, your map seems to show another Orford Park but this time its located somewhere near what today would be Grassmere Avenue. It’s amazing how all the memories come flooding back when you dig into stuff like this. Where have all these memories been hiding all that time?

I was looking at the pond in Orford Park which now bears little resemblance to how it was back in my childhood days. There were two pools, a large one where we would catch fish and a smaller paddling pool at the side. Between the two was a concrete pathway under which was a series of small arches. Not too far away towards Alder Lane, was another pool that we used to fish in but this was not part of the park. It may have been part of a farm?? wonder if anyone remembers that?

Anyway for now thanks again!

As you might expect Bill, I remember most of what you describe. I lived in East avenue and Orford and Orford park was our garden. The band-stand and Chinky bridge.

The ponds I remember oh so well. Drinking fountain - which worked in the early days - and sand pits by the ponds. The other pool was a bit dirtier and was owned by the farmer - Tasker in my day. Lovely blood-worms in that pool and bigger tiddlers as well. The barn made a lovely back-stop for cricket. The dare was to walk past the front door of the farm and into the prk, rather than using one of the proper entrances.

. A very short walk down Capesthorne road and you were into the country. There were fields everywhere (as in the latest poem) Polly homers; Turkey Jacks; and Croft. There were fields everywhere. The last house in Capesthorne road, before the pre-fabs , was very obliging and you could re-fill your water bottle before venturing further. You had to re-fill cos the sun always shone, didn't it?

Happy days

Thanks for showing the old maps algy, whilst you are looking at more for Orford I wonder if you have what I would think is the section below the Orford map you have put up. ie contains the junction of Padgate Lane, Oakwood Ave and Orford Rd as it is now.

reader - I hope this is what you were looking for:

1849 Orford & Poulton.

1849OrfordPoulton.jpg

1908 Orford.

1908Orford.jpg

1928 Orford.

1928Orford.jpg

1928 Orford Rd & Padgate Lane Junction'

1928orfordRdPadgateLnJunction.jpg

Some really interesting old maps there Algy so thanks from me too. You might have found yourself a full time forum job now though :lol::D

I've just spent 3 hours looking on the map site you used and it's really addictive but be warned I'm struggling with a few old roads so I may call on your assistance tomorrow if my brain doesn't kick into gear.

PS... why are there a lot of old Russian maps for areas of Warrington on there.. any idea ?

Some really interesting old maps there Algy so thanks from me too. You might have found yourself a full time forum job now though :lol::D

I've just spent 3 hours looking on the map site you used and it's really addictive but be warned I'm struggling with a few old roads so I may call on your assistance tomorrow if my brain doesn't kick into gear.

PS... why are there a lot of old Russian maps for areas of Warrington on there.. any idea ?

Spy lanes, cold war period. :wink: