What architechtural master piece is this Eyesore?

Geoffrey Settle

IMG_0780.jpg

Does anyone know what this feature is for in Longbarn?

Its outside the Convenience store where I started a petition to have a new bin installed. 100 members of the community signed the petition and we got our new bin recently. The problem occurred when the new owner refused to pay for the bin to be emptied after he had bought the land and it became his property. He now refuses to get rid of the old concrete bin base that remains after the old bin was removed.

I know you couldn't invent a story like it could you :?: - if yes please start another thread we'd all love to hear about it. :huh:

Anyway getting back to this one I have been trying unsuccessfully to get this either re-tiled or simply demolished - but I haven't a clue what it is. Maybe it's an old nuclear basement entrance, simlar to the one in the fields near junction 9. Oops should I have told you about it. :roll:

Sorry mate, I would like to know - he doesn't vist Longbarn anyway so of no interest to him - it's on my patch and I want to improve it.

As for NTH I used to work there for North West Water as you know and had the job of being involved in it's refurbishment, another lanlord looks after the outside - but there is not a lot you can do with those blocks except pull it down. :unsure: I wonder who the Architect was and what he's doing now on the proceeds?

Getting back to this tub - I think it might belong to UU now, but it certainly looks like they have forgotten it is an asset losley speaking.

I've got no idea what it is but it looks a mess. I tried google earth etc as they sometimes have some older views of areas but not for here I'm afraid.

The aerial image on some map sites seem to give the impression of something on top of it at some time which appears to cast a shaddow along the floor. It wasn't the street light or whatever is in your photo now as that wasn't there.

Maybe it was the base for a modern arty thing like a sun dial or something at some time which got pinched or removed. I would have thought the residents would know. Just get some tiles and tile it.. no one would complain :wink:

best I can get... sorry

fearnhead.jpg

You know more than you are letting on - the lamppost is actually an Aerial. Now that could be an important clue - come on Agent DIZZY B) spill the beans if I lift the hatch what will I find below - Aliens :?: or a high tech version of crop circles. :|

Honest to goodness I'm getting worried now - someone from BT just rang whilst I was enjoying typing this missive to wind you up.

I asked him how he knew I was logged on and he started to talk about software - I then asked him if he was a spie and he muttered something beginning with F and hung up. :mrgreen: It was nearly as irritating as being stalked by the Lib/Dems they follow me everywhere. Can't think why. :roll:

Anyway its something to do with United Utilities, be it sewage or clean water I know not what but there must be someone who does.

Just a thought but I seem to recall that Longbarn used to have a communal TV aerial system. It was put in place by Warrington New Town when Longbarn was built to stop the unsightly rash on TV aerials on individual houses. The system fell into disuse many years ago and could this “stump” have been the base of the main aerial.

Just a thought but I seem to recall that Longbarn used to have a communal TV aerial system. It was put in place by Warrington New Town when Longbarn was built to stop the unsightly rash on TV aerials on individual houses. The system fell into disuse many years ago and could this “stump” have been the base of the main aerial.

A Ha..... communication device for the Aliens - now that sounds more like it and there may be no need for it to be there any more - good spot Long John :rolleyes: now who pays for its removal because it is an EYESORE :twisted: and what if anything can go in it's place?

Agent Dizzy :unsure: ... I was only trying to help Geoff and the various older street views I looked at do NOT show an aerial or a lamp post but do show a shaddow being projected from something on the top of your 'tower' at some stage. The image was a screen dunp and I didn't airbrush the post out of that's what you thought.

Anyway... no there will not be aliens under there Geoff (well not exactly) but there IS something there and it IS there for a reason....... and it was there prior to the aerial by the way.

It shouldn't take you too long to find out after all you are a councillor :wink:

• 1 month later...

Just a moment, going back to the original post and original photo.

Am I correct in thinking that the small white square is the base of a waste bin that someone wants removing? Looking at the picture, I have to ask why would anyone want to make a big issue over something as trivial as that and would it’s removal make any difference whatsoever give what it’s next to? :roll:

Bill :)

Hopefully Indy will have time to look into the historical context of the white patch, the local people tend to confirm that it once was the site of an old roman bin, although there are not many coins, brouches of that era to be seen.

The more recent bin has now been removed by the land owner and Warrington Borough Council have replaced it on their land following the community petition. I have also asked for an additional one - but in the meantime they have promised extra collections. I have just signed up a new member for the litter picking scheme that Gary highlighted the other week for me - thanks Gary :mrgreen: and his litter picker has just arrived.

As for the stranger building it is for TV reception back in the day - BUT as yet no one knows who owns it or if it is still being used - may be Indy can go down the hatch and investigate a modern architectural feature. :rolleyes: Who knows what he will find down there. :roll:

All good stuff Geoff but it didn’t really answer my question did it?

Let me rephrase my question. When you said “I know you couldn't invent a story like it could you

Are you suggesting it’s incredulous that someone’s refusing to pay for the white square to be removed or incredulous that someone thinks it needs removing?

I have a sneaky suspicion, which but I’d like some clarification. :unsure:

Ok Bill hand up I didn't answer your question.

The white blob is apparently the site but one of the bin - I don't know the history - but there was once a bin there.

No one as far as I am aware wants the no longer there bin moving.

No one is asking for the bin to go back there because it is now on the new landlords land.

So to answer your revised question

Are you suggesting it’s incredulous that someone’s refusing to pay for the white square to be removed or incredulous that someone thinks it needs removing
- neither there isn't an issue with the white square. Unless you know otherwise. :wink:

Well Geoff this is getting even more bizarre with replies like that. You answer two questions that nobody even asked then completely contradict what you said in your opening post. Let’s just recap what you wrote.

He now refuses to get rid of the old concrete bin base (the white square!) that remains after the old bin was removed. I know you couldn't invent a story like it could you.
Are you now saying it’s not an issue “there isn't an issue with the white square”.

Why start a thread advising others to start another thread about something that you initially call unbelievable which is then like hurricane Irene, downgraded to something that’s not even an issue.

Someone’s lost the plot here and I don’t think it’s me! :blink: