mobile phone contract dilema - Help?

Dizzy

OK I'll try and keep this brief.

We all have mobiles on the '3' network two of which are out of the contract period so we are free to 'go' elsewhere if we want to or just continue as we are.

As we are all on 3 I'm happy to stay with them as we get free calls to each other etc etc.

BUT my phone has a problem and the keys keep sticking which drives me mad. The front keys can't be replaced by the way.

So.... I popped into the store and was told I can have a free upgrade to a new phone :D but that means I'll then have to sign up to another 2 year contract with them which I don't want want to do. :cry:

So........... my solution was to stay as I am but to put my sim card in my sons older phone (which is not locked to any network and was bought that way) and to use that instead.

Guess what... 3's sim cards don't seem to be recognised in any other phone even if it is unlocked so I'd guess I'd have to BUY a '3' phone from somewhere.... presumably from them :evil:

So any suggestions or have I answered my own question fully and there is no alternative ?

... that wasn't very brief was it :lol:

had a quick troll round the web and it seems that 3 sims will only work with a phone that has 3g capability. at least that is what the majority of sites seem to say.

so it looks like you have to use a 3phone with your 3 sim.

may be worth looking at a 3 pay and go one as a stopgap measure.

i use orange and only have that for emergency use.

Thanks for that :wink: Sounds like they've got me then eh :cry:

If it wasnt for the fact that my sons phone is still in the contract period we'd tell them to sod off and change all three to a new provider :wink:

Just had a look at their pay as you go phones and the cheapest one is ?84. Ironically it's almost identical to the old one my son has although his has a lot more features :shock::evil:

Might have a look on ebay or see if anyone's got an old '3' mobile lying in their drawer to put me on. There must be loads of them lying about cos most people aren't as mean as me and probably upgrade regularly :lol::lol::lol:

OK I'll try and keep this brief.

We all have mobiles on the '3' network two of which are out of the contract period so we are free to 'go' elsewhere if we want to or just continue as we are.

As we are all on 3 I'm happy to stay with them as we get free calls to each other etc etc.

BUT my phone has a problem and the keys keep sticking which drives me mad. The front keys can't be replaced by the way.

So.... I popped into the store and was told I can have a free upgrade to a new phone :D but that means I'll then have to sign up to another 2 year contract with them which I don't want want to do. :cry:

So........... my solution was to stay as I am but to put my sim card in my sons older phone (which is not locked to any network and was bought that way) and to use that instead.

Guess what... 3's sim cards don't seem to be recognised in any other phone even if it is unlocked so I'd guess I'd have to BUY a '3' phone from somewhere.... presumably from them :evil:

So any suggestions or have I answered my own question fully and there is no alternative ?

... that wasn't very brief was it :lol:

A friend of mine runs a mobile phone company and if any one can sort out your problems he can. If you want his details PM me - or contact them through the G Force website via the web links :wink:

shops have less abiliy to flex their offers than the head office.

ring them up, tell them you are leaving, tell them that you want a free upgrade, the phone you want (shop around to find a reasonable one best bet one that been around for at least 12 months) on a 12 month contract at your current rate or less (max ?10).

odds are you will get it.

I do this with vodaphone every time my contract ends even though I have no intention of leaving.

A friend of mine runs a mobile phone company and if any one can sort out your problems he can. If you want his details PM me - or contact them through the G Force website via the web links :wink:

Thanks Gary I just looked on their web site but there are no prices or details of phones + networks/tafiffs etc. Might send them an email once I've seen what '3' have to say :wink:

I fancy having some vehicle tracking installed by G Force though... I could see where I've been lately :D:lol:

Have you been into "Cell Tech" (a phone service repair company) in a little street that runs from London Rd into Gaskell St, St Heath

They are very good and would be able to advise you

I used to be on 3 till earlier this year, I moved cos of their poor 3G coverage throughout the UK. They wern't a bad company to deal with an angels compared with vodafone.

Just before I moved I got them to unlock my N95 so I could a payg card in areas where I couldn't get their 3g signal.

That phone now bails me out with the iPhone3G-16 where that cant get a signal, which again is most places

Thanks Reader never thought of going in there although I'm wanting to put my '3' sim in my sons already 'unlocked' phone as it was bought not specific to any network ie you just put whatever sim in it you wanted.

I guess if there is a way though they will be able to do it. :D Cheers :D

Most of the deals with mobiles include free same network calls but if you chose a company like 3 with significantly fewer users then the likelihood is that your going to incur more cross network call charges.

Food for thought unless you only ring the two numbers also on 3.

Bill :)

All our inclusive minutes are 'across all networks' bill and we get an aditional 300+ 3 to 3 call free allowance on top.

Anyway all irrelevant as just phoned them like Legion suggested and got a very nice foreigh chap who basically told me all prices are as they are on the internet site. So no special deals for all three of us being with them sol long it would seem.

They are ALL 24 month contracts too now athough that does include a huge increase in call allowances, free internet, free texts free skype, free facebook, free msn, free pair of snow shoes and a puppy of your choice :shock::lol:

Pretty good deals for the price but we don't want 24 month contracts as it's a long time to be stuck with the same phone, tariff and provider :?:cry:

To make matters worse I took my phone to have it's sticky keys fixed and it's now buggered. :shock::cry: So took my sons old phone to be unlocked so I could stick my sim in his phone but turns out that 3's sims definately wont work in it :cry:

On the possitive side though... at least I'm not getting any annoying phone calls anymore :lol::lol: