Walton Hall and Gardens SOLD

Sha

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be getting married at Walton Hall this Sept, and i am getting worried reading all these reports that the Hall may now be sold and not be available after we have paid all this money. Trying to get hold of someone at Walton Hall to talk to is difficult especially now they are moving offices, does anyone know if they will have to honnour weddings already booked even if the sale goes through?

Don't worry - if Contessa are in charge by then you will get looked after better than by the town hall numpties! :oops:

:shock::shock: Another case of WBC being able to approve their 'own plans' and do whatever they want then :evil::roll:

I wonder who they will consult when the seperate application for 'Listed Building Consent' goes in.... WBC don't even have a Heritage/Conservation Officer now since they chose to make Christine Carruthers redundant in March :roll:

So can we safely say that the plans for Walton Gardens are still on course to be bulldozed through now that there is no change in WBC's Council leadership :roll:

No doubt the present exec will continue to try to bulldoze through the plans for the Walton Hall Estate, though it may not now be as easy as they expected!

The Labour group have now the majority of seats (votes) on the council and it would be expected that they should use their power in numbers to block the sell off.

The loss of the Walton Hall Estate, which provides free leisure facilities for families from all over Warrington would be felt keenly by many in all wards of the town so as well as opposition from labour councillors there should be opposition from any other truly community minded councillors.

Due to the massive public support for the retention of Walton Hall and gardens it's more likely that heads will roll before bulldozers!:lol: :lol: :lol:

There should have been massive councillor objection to adding the extortionate parking charges to the car park which takes away the concept of free to use public space....but there wasn't.

In the summer months, there should be direct buses to and from all the estates in the town........... but there isn't; so don't hold your breath Sha!

I have always thought the car parking cost was too great but many families when you talk to them say that it is a bargain for a family day out. Not for a dog walker. And we have been assured the money goes to the upkeep of the Estate.

So after their meeting last night councillors assembled at Walton Hall to celebrate, I am sure at their own cost. One passing dog walker was accosted by a boastful guy who stated that the Hall would be a 4* Hotel, the new build a 3*, there would be a family pub, golf academy horticulture training centre, shops, and NO LOSS OF ACCESS.

Not a lot new except for the implication that the deal was sealed (perhaps at the meeting last Wednesday between councillors, officers and Contessa). Did the existing coalition rush through the deal in case they were no longer in power?

and NO LOSS OF ACCESS!!! Let's wait and see

Not a lot new except for the implication that the deal was sealed (perhaps at the meeting last Wednesday between councillors, officers and Contessa). Did the existing coalition rush through the deal in case they were no longer in power?

and NO LOSS OF ACCESS!!! Let's wait and see

Indeed... why were they using Walton Hall to celebrate. What's wrong with them using the Town Hall or Bridge Street bars and clubs :lol:

Confused now though as you say the deal was sealed last week but front page news story today says....

"....But council chiefs have confirmed that their executive board will select a development partner in June .... ".

Sorry my mistake... you did indeed say it was only an implication. :lol:

There is only no Plan B because they don't want one :roll::wink:

Just as they can't be bothered to apply for grants and funding for the Hall and buildings. There are so many avenues that have probably never ever been explored :roll:

Is Walton Gardens on "English Heritage's register of Parks and Gardens" ? Not important I was just wondering :D

Well, it would help in forming a constructive alternative, to know what Walton costs in total, what revenues are available to fund it (given we are entering a period of austerity), what possible innovations could sustain retention in the long term? :?

Is that total 'real' costs Obs or 'alleged' costs that also include 'other' costs that are not 'really' associated with the Hall and Gardens at all :wink::lol:

I'd also be interested to know exactly how much funding has been applied for for the estate and buildings over the past 20 years.

including

Which organisations the funding applications were submitted to and when?

What was it submitted for..details ?

How much was it for ?

How much was given ?

How was the money spent ?

How many applications were refused funding and WHY.. details ?

And of course have any other internal business plans, management plans etc etc been drawn up over the past years, and if not why not, as that could be why they have been losing so much money. They COULD have been doing a lot more with the Hall !

No what I meant was 'They COULD have been doing a lot more with the Hall !'

ie getting off their backsides, taking some responsibility, advertising it's facilities, having medieval banquets there with food fights, whatever :lol:

I'm sure they could have made it work for them but instead they sit around pondering then palm it off on someone else as the burdon is to complicated :wink:

Anyway what can I say as I'm sat here pondering too :lol::lol:

perhaps a new build conference facility could be built discreetly in the grounds somewhere. Hired out at squillions every year. We went to a corporate do somewhere once that was an old stately house but with just such a facility in the gardens. It also had a golf course to facilitate proper corporate events (just like Walton has)

In fact it was the place where the sport aid clip was shot showing Gene Hunt teeing off for some golf!

Nothing to stop that being part of the overall plan (ie to have the conference facility seperate from the Hotel) and charge for at squillions per booking after all no-one has seen the plans yet :wink: The area of the old glasshouses once they are removed would be a perfect empty space for such a development :?

Just been given a copy of the Walton Parish Council Newsletter that has just been issued.

Anyway... it says that they had a presentation by WBC's Chief Estates Valuation Officer and WBC's Valuation Surveyor to show the plans and feasibility study for the 'boutique' hotel, leisure complex/outdoor persuit centre :shock: oooh I'd have liked to have gone to that but didn't know it was on :cry:

WPC say that it is understood that the area of the pond and garden area between the Hall and the old glasshouse will be under control of the boutique hotel the rest under control of WBC.

The restricted area is at least getting smaller (in my eyes anyway) as more info comes out..... :wink::? Maybe they can show the rest of us the actual plans and study now to shut us all up :lol:

From what they have said it will 'possibly' 'roughly' be this area... or will it :?

waltonplanpondglasshouse.jpg

.......The restricted area is at least getting smaller (in my eyes anyway) as more info comes out..... :wink::?

Diz, you have never before seemed to have such extremely poor comprehension skills!! :?::?::?:

You know that the heritage yard, riding school, coach house and greenhouses are in the Contessa plans (isn't the renovation of these buildings supposed to be part of the so called 'benefits' of the deal?

The golf clubhouse is already a 'payable area' and the 'derelict area' (Andrew Farrell's desciption) at the back of and joined to the greenhouses will be redeveloped as part of the deal.

The hall will be extended to cover at least the footprint of the original hall (which your outline passes through rather than around).

The bandstand area, and lawn at the side of the hall as well as some land at the back will obviously be taken for the privacy needed for a 'boutique' hotel. It's also been suggested that the crazy golf and bowling greens are to go.

Once you have drawn these areas within your boundary lines you will see that there is no access other than through the 'hotel grounds' to the formal gardens at the back of the hall.

Even with all these areas within Contessa's boundary you will note that there doesn't appear to be anywhere to accomodate the car parking facilities that would be needed for a 29 bedroom hotel, conference facilities, pub etc.

But you weren't unaware of these points :)

Diz, you have never before seemed to have such extremely poor comprehension skills!! :?::?::?:

:?:cry: You will be suggesting that I work for the council next then :roll::lol:

Sha... I was merely passing on the infomation that was on the newsletter I was given.... thought it may be interesting that's all :roll:

As the council or anyone else aren't actually giving any finer details away of where the exclusion zone WILL be or indeed any other planned details that we are unaware of then I for one will just carry on along my own little merry little way and continue to 'guess' like everyone else... I'm sorry if my lack of so called real comprehension frustrates you :lol:

Blame that on WBC's inability to be open and transparent but then again there are always other ways of finding out things :P

Anyway in the mean time if you would like to PM me I will draw you a map based on what you know is happening :wink::lol:

Second thought..... best not eh :lol: