Another one bites the dust

Dizzy

http://myplanning.warrington.gov.uk/Planning/StreamDocPage/obj.pdf?DocNo=7646530&PageNo=1&content=obj.pdf

'The former Ship Inn is a Locally Listed Building within the study site boundary.

It is considered to have architectural and historic interest and is of local significance.

No impacts on the building are antcipated as it is proposed to retain the building.'

Page 21    Summary and conclusions.  

The police close lanes and complete roads every day Dizzy.

OK dare I say it but

I will write it in small letters I agree with P J.  Hopefully he won't be able to read that!

It wasn't so long ago that side of the road was shut for road works I seem to recall and one lane is a cycle lane anyway

It wasn't so long ago that side of the road was shut for road works I seem to recall and one lane is a cycle lane anyway

Only one lane on that side near the building Coffee and the cycle lane only starts just after the building but still only one car lane for quite a while and there's also a grass central reservation between that and the other side so guess they thought it may have been too hard to divert traffic on the very busy road.

Only one lane on that side near the building Coffee and the cycle lane only starts just after the building but still only one car lane for quite a while and there's also a grass central reservation between that and the other side so guess they thought it may have been too hard to divert traffic on the very busy road.

OK the cycle lane starts a bit further but there so does the central reservation. I really do not see a problem shutting a lane past what was that pub. The police shut lanes and carriageways on motorways for roa works and after RTAs every day

No structural engineer - but neither was the guy on site  - but a small building like that could easily be made safe quickly.

Note, never buy an Elan Home

I agree with Coffee, there should have been no problem shutting that road for a while and making the building safe.  

The reports to date are suggesting that demolition was a police decision. That's hardly credible!  A structural engineer was on site, does anyone really believe that the police wouldn't have asked his advice on the safety of the building? 

Whatever, knowing how often these types of 'incidents' occur, I would have expected the police to have prevented demolition until they had made sure they had clear evidence of why and how the building happened to have just 'collapsed'. As it is the 'evidence' has now been destroyed.

The 'collapse' of this building does nothing for Elan Home's structural engineers reputation - surely they would have  previously assessed the building for suitability for conversion?

Whose responsibility would it have been to carry out a risk assessment before worker's were allowed into the building? The plasterer could have been seriously injured or killed. 

Also, as the building was so close to the public highway and so defective as to be 'prone to collapse', wouldn't this be negligence on behalf of Elan Homes with regard to safety of the general public?

My personal opinion is that the whole thing stinks!

Coffee writes, "Note, never buy an Elan Home"

A quick google of Elan Homes shows that there are quite a few people who would agree with that statement.

Elan Homes don't seem to be too popular with a lot of people who have bought their homes from them!

I did a quick google on them the day 'the ship went down'. The company was formed by the previous senior management of David McLean Homes -which had gone into administration with debt of over £1,000,000!

Elan have built a number of developments, of the type that I'd look at and half expect Noddy and Big Ears to be driving around!

The Walton development is to be of similar style, which made me wonder why Warrington planning dept allowed their planning proposals to be passed in the first place - surely designs more fitting for an area of historic interest should have been used - though why that land was ever passed for housing at all defeats me. Were 4 & 5 bedroom houses at a cost of circa half a million each really needed? 

I also noted that, on Elan's website, though there were pictures and houses on the Walton Estate up for sale, there was nothing on the planned apartments. If they had been intending to convert the Ship Inn wouldn't one have expected that they would be advertising and trying to sell them also?

Some of that £1,000,000 was owed to my company Sha.... David Macleans Finance Director was the Finance Director of another company that went bust before he joined David Maclean.... I know this because I worked for that company with him.... looking back, I should have known better :)

Were 4 & 5 bedroom houses at a cost of circa half a million each really needed? 

As ever, follow the money. Starts with the sorts of people who think it bolsters their ego to live in an expensive but bland, shoddy five bedroomed house on an 'executive' development. Continues with the developers who are more than willing to dish it up to them. Ends with a cash-strapped council with no imagination or oversight.

Separate issue to the bizarre but unsurprising circumstances of this demolition obviously, but the same forces are at play in the development of the town centre.    

Some of that £1,000,000 was owed to my company Sha.... David Macleans Finance Director was the Finance Director of another company that went bust before he joined David Maclean.... I know this because I worked for that company with him.... looking back, I should have known better :)

As a builder give is your expert analysis, why would the building claps like this building has. Its seemed in reasonable condition.

I can only imagine Elan Homes must have undermined a major structural part of the building.

I recall a hose near were I lived having o be partially taken down and rebuilding after it stood empty for a long time, but there were big cracks in the wall and it never fell down

As a builder give is your expert analysis, why would the building claps like this building has. Its seemed in reasonable condition.

I can only imagine Elan Homes must have undermined a major structural part of the building.

I recall a hose near were I lived having o be partially taken down and rebuilding after it stood empty for a long time, but there were big cracks in the wall and it never fell down

This post may well give Asperity the screaming abdabs!

Bazj, sorry to hear you were one of the people who lost money due to David Mclean's 'mismanagement'. From what I've read from googling Elan I wouldn't be surprised if it's not 'third time bust' before too long!

I read that their finance director is showing an interest in the Govt's help for homebuyers schemes,(probably the public funding availability bit!)

Thinking about all the money that WBC have loaned to housing associations for building new homes, it would be terrible if that fell into incompetent hands.........surely not!.........think I need to google.