Is this right?

Bazj

The link attached shows he action being taken by the Lancashire Council of Mosques to ensure that schools are forced to serve only Halal foods....

I must say that this worries me as to me; Halal slaughter is a cruel and unhygienic way to kill animals for food and should we be changing our whole system to cater for what is at the moment only a couple of percent of the population? Sheikhs and Hindus are forbidden to eat Halal food under their religious beliefs.... so why is serving Halal food becoming such a major issue? All of the big food producers and many councils seem to be fighting over themselves to climb on board the Halal bandwagon....

http://www.lancashiremosques.co.uk/Schools-Endorsed-as-Halal-by-LCM.php

• Upvote 1

That is as maybe Cleo.... but I personally am not comfortable with having food that I eat ritually slaughtered to standards set by some religion worshipping a god that I don't think exists...

There are more non Muslims in this country (in fact there are probably more non-religious people altogether) and this should not be the norm. We should not be dictated too and held to ransom by religious beliefs

If they are not happy about the food being dished up then why don't the kids parents just make them a damn packed lunch containing whatever meat they are allowed to eat rather than forcing councils and schools to change everything.

Religious beliefs are imo a private affair, and should play no part in the running of a secular society - so if they want Halal, they should sort it themselves - this is about personal preference, not essential need.

They should not be able to "sort it themselves " - as a civilised country we should not be allowing this barbaric practice in UK based abattoirs or importing the meat produced through the same practice abroad.

If muslims find themselves unable to consume properly slaughtered meat then I guess vegetarianism is the way to go.

Conventional slaughter may not be perfect - but that is no reason to allow a worse system.

So Nick; your free for all endorsement for immigration and the "multi-cultural" society, doesn't quite extend to allowing said cultures to pursue matters relating to said cultures?  Do I detect a little movement towards the idea, that we should have ONE secular society, with common standards and practises for all (at least in public); to which our guests assimilate?!

So Nick; your free for all endorsement for immigration and the "multi-cultural" society, doesn't quite extend to allowing said cultures to pursue matters relating to said cultures?  Do I detect a little movement towards the idea, that we should have ONE secular society, with common standards and practises for all (at least in public); to which our guests assimilate?!

It's not as simplistic as that - oh and I don't regard someone as a guest just because they are of a different faith, darker shade of skin.

It is also not as simplistic as secular v faith. Although I do feel that  the government , in all its aspects should be secular, I do not feel that should apply to society as a whole.

I believe that every rational adult has the right to do whatever they wish - either individually or as part a group so long as there is no negative outcome or, if there is a negative outcome, then it is only to his or her self.  I do not feel it is acceptable to dictate what "common standards and practices " people should follow - is someone wants to be a Christian, Jew, Muslim , or other that is not the business of you, me or the government.

I am not suggesting that those who are of the Islamic faith be made or even encouraged  to eat food that goes against their religion - just that if unacceptable cruelty is involved in the slaughtering of meat to satisfy their requirements then such meat should not be made available.

you either believe in multi-cultural toleration or you don't!

Again you are being  too simplistic - I believe everyone has the absolute right to do what they wish within the limits  I have outlined above. Only when there is a negative outcome, other than one restricted to the individual - do acceptable restrictions need to be arrived at.

in any case I think you'll find that Muslims are forbidden from eating non-halal meat , they are not required to eat halal meat - I apologise if that distinction confuses you.

Do I detect a little movement towards the idea, that we should have ONE secular society, with common standards and practises for all (at least in public); to which our guests assimilate?!

And who would decide the common standards, should we all have to wear flat caps and buy a whippet ?

Again you are being  too simplistic - I believe everyone has the absolute right to do what they wish within the limits  I have outlined above. Only when there is a negative outcome, other than one restricted to the individual - do acceptable restrictions need to be arrived at.

in any case I think you'll find that Muslims are forbidden from eating non-halal meat , they are not required to eat halal meat - I apologise if that distinction confuses you.

You believe everyone has the absolute right to do what they wish - providing they have your approval

Asda has apparently recalled all it's smart price corned beef today after some was found to contain small traces of bute.

If nothing else Asda should be thanked for hopefully diverting this topic away from they way it was probably heading   :wink:

You believe everyone has the absolute right to do what they wish - providing they have your approval

Gosh - you chose to misinterpret what I posted - so surprised Cleo with your continued animosity towards me.

The level of cruelty in the halal method of slaughter  is a negative effect (on top of the death of the animal). It is not for me to decide whether that is acceptable, we live in a democracy. however it is my opinion that it should not be allowed.

So if your question is do I approve of things I approve of and disapprove of things I disapprove of then yes - der!

Please confirm that it s not necessary for a Muslim to consume halal meat and   therefore there is no religious objection to a vegetarian diet.

The quantas/airline one is fair enough if the plane is landing/taking off in a foreign country where pork is considered 'unholy' and strictly forbidden by Islam as after all you are in THEIR country.... and being on a plane you wouldn't want to annoy them :wink:

Re the other link from Dec 2012 the mosque chap has a bit of a cheek referring to the head teachers comments  as 'one mans personal view which he's trying to dictate upon the whole of the muslims of Lancashire'..... and that he was being anti muslim. 

I thought the head teacher was being very fair, honest, open and handling it all rather well. 

If eating meat at lunchtime is not a religious 'requirement' (maybe it is I don't know) then I wonder if a solution for both sides would be to simply use a Quorn substituie instead of hilal meat in those meals ?