Two Remaining Old Buildings on Mersey Street.

algy

In the course of Warrington's much needed development it would be a travesty to lose the two remaining buildings at the junction of Mersey Street and Bridge Street, the Packet House, it's original name on the Warrington O.S. Town Plan for 1890/93 was the Manchester Packet House, and both the buildings were certainly in existence before 1850, it has been suggested that it was used by the crews of river boats and served as a ticket office for boats to Liverpool and Manchester.,the other small building next to it in Mersey Street was, around 1910 a music shop called the Music depot, which has a unique backwards sloping ridge.

On passing recently I noticed a top floor sash window has been left open and will most certainly be habitated by disease spreading feral pigeons!. 

It'd be such a shame if it did go. Sometimes I think WBC have a policy of actively destroying any historic building that comes to their attention. 

I believe, there is a person on WBC that does have a genuine interest in Warrington's old buildings and our local history, however he is the only one I know of personally! :unsure:

This Masterplan that is due to materialise in 2030 should take into consideration the towns heritage, to my mind the biggest con or sham was the so called saving and moving of the Old Academy building at Bridge Foot, John Aikin and Joseph Priestly must be turning in their graves. I have seen council houses with greater historical character. :roll:

• 1 month later...

During the Christmas period there were flashing Christmas lights in the broken windows of the Packet House.

Ghosts of Christmas past or squatters?

Who paid the electricity bill for this?

At least it was "festive". Now there is a big sign on the side of this historic building saying something like "Watch this space".

Not another historical Warrington building about to be "re-developed"?

Am I correct in this assumption? 

RC, no idea who paid the for power or who is to will occupy it. I reported two top floor windows being open to the elements and birds and was assured by one of our councilors  that they would be attended to, this has not happened, is it another way of allowing the internal fabric of the building to fall into disrepair with the inevitable statement, "The Packet House is beyond redemption and too expensive to save".

Davey, I'm not really too concerned what businesses occupy (within reason) the property on Bridge Street so long as the character of the street remains, and let's face it by 2030 I dont think I shall be posting on here!.

Rockcutting...... there was a planning application submitted which was withdrawn by the applicant at the end of February 2013.  It was for 3 large LED advertising screens on the outside of the building and I remember reading that the police had objected due to road safety and distraction due to the location etc.  I'm not sure but from the info relating to the specific application for 'advertising boards'  the building itself seemed to be possibly earmarked as an outdoor adventure type shop too.

Can't for the life of me remember the planning application number though and the council's website it not the easiest to search for a specific building address or actual postcode without having to trawl through many pages of planning applications and I found it by a back door route   :roll:

RC, no idea who paid the for power or who is to will occupy it. I reported two top floor windows being open to the elements and birds and was assured by one of our councilors  that they would be attended to, this has not happened, is it another way of allowing the internal fabric of the building to fall into disrepair with the inevitable statement, "The Packet House is beyond redemption and too expensive to save".

Davey, I'm not really too concerned what businesses occupy (within reason) the property on Bridge Street so long as the character of the street remains, and let's face it by 2030 I dont think I shall be posting on here!.

2030 is about the same time that the inept councillors might get round to getting the windows shut too.... pity there are no newts or bats that could be hunted!!