If your gas supply went off

Dizzy

Like the title says......If your gas supply went off (for a few days) due to an unforseen 'mishap' would you cope ok and put up with it and do the best you could with other resources available to you (stiff upper lip and extra layers of clothing etc maybe) or would you think the world had ended ?

Would you feel hard done to? Would you moan ? Would you expect compenstation from the gas company (even though it's not their fault)? blah blah blah.

Just wondered.......

I would certainly moan (to myself) and get on with it.

I would only look for compensation if I had used more electricity for heating or cooking, taking into account that, with my gas being off the gas bill would be less.

The other thing that we could all do is hop on a plane and stay with Cleo.

• Upvote 1

We got the gas back on tonight after being without for 36 hrs. About 1500 houses were affected.

No central heating, hot water or cooking facilities.

What we did have, was a kettle, microwave and an oil filled storage heater.

We coped. Fortunately the house (walls) hadn't cooled down. Can keep quite warm with a thick sweater on.

I don't mind being without electricity, but no gas is not good. If it was long term I should imagine the worst service to lose would be water. :?

I would certainly moan (to myself) and get on with it.

I would only look for compensation if I had used more electricity for heating or cooking, taking into account that, with my gas being off the gas bill would be less.

The other thing that we could all do is hop on a plane and stay with Cleo.

You wouldn't want to stay here right now. Winter has arrived and it's rained for the last couple of days. :D

Managed when our gas had to be turned off was without it for about a week as that was the earliest anybody could get out to fix it. Luckily it was around august so not too bad as regards heating and it is amazing what you can cook up on a camping Stove if you have to. I suppose one of the legacies of being a boy sprout in my youth. :mrgreen:

Which Gas Company was it, and who's gas? Quick switch to another supplier, and they could pump their gas through - I don't think!! :wink:

Quite funny really. The guy that chopped the main with his JCB was working on the new flood defences on Knutsford Rd.

There is an alternative obs. Two in fact Calor and LPG. Not a practical one though.

I was recalling the last time I was cold called by a Gas Company Rep: asking me to change provider. I said " Oh I'm not having the front dug up to lay new pipes". To which he replied, "Oh no, the gas comes through the same pipework". "Errm, so how does your gas get past the gas that's already in the pipe"? says I. "It's the same gas" says he. "So why is it a different price" says I. :wink:

• Upvote 1

Letter from national grid (I thought that it was Transco, but there you go) saying a couple of things.

Wait for an engineer to turn your gas and appliances on.

£30 compensation for every complete 24 hrs up to the point when they visit to reconnect.

£50 for businesses same conditions.

Question is, have I spent more than that using extra electric?

Question is, have I spent more than that using extra electric?

Depends what you've been using to heat your home Peter.

A fan heater is usually about 2 to 3kw so times 2 or 3 by the pence per Kwh you pay for your elec and it will tell you how much an hour it costs to have one on.

Based on the elec price we pay it would cost us 22p to run one 2kw fan heater at the lower tier rate for one hour and 46p per hour on the upper tier rate. (we have one of those damn stupid tarrifs where you pay more for your first so many units and less for the next lot)

Personally speaking I would rather lose my gas supply than my electric and ok so it would be chilly downstaris but it wouldn't really bother me that much.

Personally speaking I would rather lose my gas supply than my electric and ok so it would be chilly downstaris but it wouldn't really bother me that much.

You sound like my other half. She always says she is too hot, yet funnily enough come morning you can hardly see her face with the duvet pulled up that high.

The heater was an oil filled radiator. They are very good. Got it from JTF a couple of years ago.

By the way, you never told me that the carvery up the drag was so good. not half altered since I was last in there.