age of criminal responsibility

Cleopatra

Magistrates are to discuss raising the age of criminal responsibilty from 10 to 14 years old. That would mean that any child under 14 years would not have to face a magistrate or judge for any crime committed, including murder.

Then if agreed they will approach Chris Grayling, the Justice Secretary, to ask him to get the age of responsibity raised.

Kids know the difference between right and wrong by the time they are 10 years old. The number of times I threatened to report to the police kids of 7, 8, 9 and 10 for attempting to steal from my shop, for swearing and abusive language, for criminal damge etc., is unbelievable but the little thugs just laugh in your face and say, "Go on....Report me to the police, they can't do anything, I'm underage!"

The magistrate appear to believe that not being taken to court for their crimes would prevent reoffending. Yeah right!

• Upvote 2

Given the sentences handed out to criminals by our judges would it make much difference.

Serial offenders getting suspended sentences and then some person who has not paid their poll tax sorry council tax getting six months perhaps it is time to take a hard look at the sentencing system.

I would like to see it stay at the same age it is now and then make it a mandatory 1 month in jail for any offense committed, no appeals, no soft options, no perks.if the parents object then they join them to see that they do not come to harm. With such short sentences we need just the minimum facilities a few sheds and plenty of barbed wire would suffice. heating optional.:evil:

The UK has the youngest age of criminal responsability in Europe, In the USA it goes by State, As low as 6 and as high as 15 in others, Are you responsible at age 10?.

No easy answer to this question, as some kids at 10 are a lot more grown up than others at 10, If I had to make the decision I would probably have the age at 12., The reason being, I think at 12 you are a lot more grown up than a 10 year old, but it not scientific, we all know from watching our own kids they mature at different rates. I don't think it's an easy task to deside when you become legally responsible , and I am glad I do not have to make the decision.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As I said Peter, because a lot of other Countries had settled on it, Are you suggesting because other Countries have chosen it, that is a good reason not to. I presume as a lot of Countries have chosen it some research has been done. Even the UN think it should be 12, although I did not no that when I suggested it.

I think having 10 as an age just to make us different is plain stupid, but if you have another reason, it would be good to hear.

Found this might make a good read

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8384614/Campaign-to-raise-age-of-criminal-responsibility.html#

Same as it already is. Just as an example, if the age of consent had been higher then Jon Venebles and Robert Thompson would have not been tried for the murder of Jamie Bulger. They would not have seen the inside of the court.

a lot of good that did though.... a few years in a naughty boy holiday camp and then out you go...

Should have waited until they were 18, when they had time to realise the gravity of what they had done, and then executed them....

I choose 12 as it seems to be the average that most Countries adopted. Including it seems Egypt :wink:

From where did you obtain your information and is the information credible? Have you checked it out with the authorities of each country.

It seems even the so-called experts cannot agree what the age of criminal responsibilty is in Egypt. I have seen almost every age between 7 years and 18 years stated as the age of criminal responsibility in Egypt. :wink:

I am not in de nile! I will believe it only from a government official.

And that is why even today there are many disabled people to be seen begging on the streets and that is nothing to be proud about

As you yourself have said more than once - don't beleive everything you read on the net. :wink:

All I can say is come to Egypt and see for yourself. A young man with no feet sat begging. An old man with no legs sat begging, a blind old man sat begging, a middle aged man with no legs who gets around by lying on his stomach on a trolley and moving it with his hands on the ground begging. A young boy, dirty and with no shoes on his feet, unable to speak, gesturing for money to buy food because he is hungry, a young man with no hands sat begging. Countless numbers of men women and children begging by asking you to buy a packet of sheets (tissues) so they are not accused of begging, knowing that people will give them money but not take the sheets. That is the government taking care of the disabled?

If your doing the hard sell, on holidaying in Egypt, your not doing a good job :wink:, perhaps they should sue, To be fair Egypt's government have other issues at the moment with being new, and reselling power off the army, it will not be top of their agenda , given time things will get better for all in Egypt :D