Greenalls Brewery Photos (for Baz)

algy

Baz these are all the photos I have of the brewery.

The Old Brewery Malt House attached to the Wilderspool brewery.

StocktonHeaththeOldBrewerycornerMaltHouse.jpg

The old Saracens Head pub on the brewery site.

StocktonHeathWilderspooltheoldSaracensHeadpub.jpg

The new Saracens Head built opposite and across the road from the brewery.

NewSaracensHeadWilderspool.jpg

Loaded brewery steam wagons waiting to deliver their load of barrels of beer to the Greenall pubs.

GreenallsYard.jpg

Grenalls steam wagon delivering it's load, with the driver, fireman (stokes and looks after the boiler fire) and drayman.

getimageashx.jpg

Steam wagons and staff in the brewery yard.

F1large.jpg

Greenalls delivery driver on his delivery cart, probably delivering crates of bottles to local outdoor licensed premisses.

1900sGreenallsDeliveryDray.jpg

The old brewery viewed from the Stockton Heath side of the canal, the date c1893 prior to the canal being finished. The route of the old rod can be seen on the left, with the new deviation road crossing the bridge.

1894StocktonHeathLondonRoadwasrealignedtopassoverthenewbridge.jpg

View of Stockton Heath taken from the top of the Wilderspool brewery tower.

1900RuralStocktonHeathwiththeMillHouseupperleftinMillLane.jpg

The brewery chimney can be seen on the skyline left of picture this was taken when the canal excavation had only just begun possibly 1893.

StocktonHeathWilderspoolstartofthecanalexcavation5thMay18902.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks Algy but it's ok I've found it now :lol:

green2ale.jpg

Heres another, it shows the original route of Greenall's Avenue before it was rerouted when they built all the offices etc on the site.

The Saracens Head pub can just be seen through trees in the gap to the left of building with the dome on top.

greenoldroadclosedsarries.jpg

Thanks Dizzy...... great photo again. (Have you got it without the saracens head writing on??)

The dome is the top of the old Vat and it right bang in the middle of my wifes' new offices.. which look up to the dome!!

Any more to come? Both of us are loving this and we are going to try and get the titled Greenalls one printed and framed for the offices. (If you have a high res version could you email it to me?

Thanks

greenoldroadclosedclosedbaz.jpg

Hey can your wife take a pic of what it looks like looking up from inside the old dome as I'd love to see that :D Can she climb on the roof too and get some shots from there too (only kidding... actually no I wasn't) :oops:

I have a slightly higher res of the titled greenalls one but not sure how good it will blow up.

What size were you thinking of printing it and I'll have a look to see it if will. Let me know :wink:

I can't email it to you though as I don't know your email address. PM it to me if you trust me enough :lol:

Dizzy, the following picture is what the dome looks like now.... well sort of. This picture was taken when it was first refurbished in the 90's and the space where the vessel used to be was left open on each floor with a large gallery...

Now, the hole you look up from in the picture is filled in on each floor, but the dome looks pretty much the same as this picture

8wls.jpg

Thanks Baz :D

It seems a shame that they filled in the gallery holes on each floor though as I bet that was a really nice feature.

Daft question probably, but on the Wilderspool Ales old pic there is a dome with a large chimney on it (just under and between the 'y' and '&') is that your dome ?

Copyofwilderspoolsparklingnewresized.jpg

Baz, I just printed off the higher res ones I have of the Wild Ales and the one above and they are fine at A4 and would probably go bigger. Email address ??

A reminder to myself though..... in future check what paper is in ptinter before doing test prints as I've just printed them off on canvas paper. You can have them if you want... :lol:

Thanks Baz :D

It seems a shame that they filled in the gallery holes on each floor though as I bet that was a really nice feature.

Daft question probably, but on the Wilderspool Ales old pic there is a dome with a large chimney on it (just under and between the 'y' and '&') is that your dome ?

Hi Dizzy....

yes that is "our" Dome.... the chimney is long gone and replaced with the glass cap you see in the photo.

The dome is actually quite striking but I think they filled the holes in when the floors were let out to different companies.... not much good if you could gain access to someone elses office!!

I believe they were open when Greenalls used them as offices but closed up when Bruntwood bought the site

Thanks Algy.... I do have a lot of original labels and beer mats from Greenalls (and many others too) as I used to collect them when I was at school... I used to write to the brewerys and they used to send me loads of stuff!!

Found them all at my mums house in the loft!

Thanks Algy.... I do have a lot of original labels and beer mats from Greenalls (and many others too) as I used to collect them when I was at school... I used to write to the brewerys and they used to send me loads of stuff!!

Found them all at my mums house in the loft!

The word Anorack suddenly springs to mind :lol: Did you move onto train spotting when you got older :P

The word Anorack suddenly springs to mind :lol: Did you move onto train spotting when you got older :P

I was a train spotter too, yes..... Mind you, you may laugh, but I'm the one now selling beer bottle labels on EBay for up to £20.00 EACH...and I still have hundreds left plus I have sold quite a few train spotting books for a sizeable sum too.... Quite a good investment for things that cost nothing in the case of the labels and mats and about 40p for a train spotting book!! :D

I used to drink (Extra)Stout mixed (stout/mild) in the Appleton Thorn from 1957 0nwards. Used to manage around 10 pints in those days. Full after 3 or 4 pints of the black stuff these days.

Brown mixed was my Tipple (brown ale/mild), some times topped it up with a bottle of 'Old Chester's', never supped 10 pints though, 7 or 8 my max.

big_7641_escanear0047-jpg.jpg

THE BEER THAT NEVER WAS!

The Last Post was the last beer ever brewed at the Greenalls brewery in Warrington in 1991. Brewed in secret by the production team to mark the breweries closure it was only given to employees and was never sold.

ScreenShot001.jpg