Hospital Infections

wolfie

I have read recently that Halton hospital has been completely free of MRSA and C-Dificile? infections for over 18 months, so how come Warrington hospital is still infected? :confused: What are they doing that we aren't? or should it be 'what are they not doing that we still are'

May also be the nature and standatrd of cleaning: On a recent visit I carried out a mini-inspection; noting a build up of dirt around the air con vents; on curtain rail surfaces and around floor edges where the buffer obviously can't reach. :roll: A recent inspection of one hospital reported MRSA in the curtains, which are changed only four times per year. :roll:

I went visiting a friend yesterday in Warrington and whilst by his bed a porter strolled in with his outside gear on ,manky donkey jacket,trousers that hadn't been washed for ages, dirty boots and carrying his filthy gloves.

If someone can suggest a person and address I will fire off a complaint.

• 2 years later...

Imay be missing the point of this discussion but keeping a hospital germ free must be an impossibility, except in the most sterile of places e.g. operating theatres, nurses and doctors by their very nature pass from one ward to another attending patients needs and I have seen on my many visits to the hospital the doctors and nurses using the sterile hand gel.

Visitors must also carry the MRSA and C-Dificile and other such viruses on them selves from their home, car, bus or street, unless hospitals employ dedicated staff to follow everyone about and spray disinfectant everywhere they walk or touch we will always have this problem, if everyone uses common sense, caution and hygiene precautions the threat of germs should be less?

The link below will be of use to those of you are interested?

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/homehygiene/Pages/Homehygienetrivia.aspx

MRSA is not some new phenomenom! it's always been around! But it only thrives in filth. The fact we never used to hear of it was because the standards of hygiene in hospitals were far higher than they are today. MRSA is a direct result of cost cutting. Too many chiefs and not enough cleaners! Lax ward management and careless disregard to hygiene by staff have also played a big part in it's spread. :evil:

In the days of typhus, smallpox oubreaks etc; we developed a culture of cleanliness, especially in the medical profession - sadly nowadays, we think we're immune to everything - and the new "Trusts" were more interested in building a facade of shops etc, rather than retaining dedicated anti-bio units. :roll: