Direct.gov.uk

Davy51

I don't know how many of you have been on this site .I was on there yesterday doing some number crunching in the benefits section. 12 months ago i took early retirement due to ill health, planning to fund the 3 years up to proper retirement age with my company pension & a couple of small private pensions. I had 44 years of NIC's so i was shocked to find that because my pension lump sum took me over the government limit ,i & millions like me, were disqualified from any benefit despite scrimping & saving for years for a better retirement & for doing the right thing & paying into a pension so as not to be a burden on the country.I was dismayed to find that even the most basic of claimants ,forgetting all about the families with an assembly line of kids & cinema sized tv , were £27 a week better off than me .

WD had a similar problem when I came out of work the last time. had taken my works pension at fifty just to help out my part time wages. when I came out of work again and went to sign on they classed me as a single person and because my pension was more than what I would have got by signing on all i got was reduced council tax. The funniest bit was that I had 36 years NIC's and when I was up for review they said that because of my circumstances at the time that they would stop my payments. I told them I was not getting any money off them and received a very puzzled look until I explained that I was only signing on to keep up my pension payments. when i found out that for every year over the 30 i would get an extra £1.50 per week I told them that i would not be signing on any more. when asked why i told them that it was costing over £3.00 a time to come and sign on and that i would be better off not signing and saving the £3.00. after a few seconds thought they agreed that it was the sensible thing to do.

Still got reduced council tax up until a few months back but the reason was that Mrs sid came by an inheritance that took us over the threshold.

they work on the principle that if they can find a way of not paying out they will.

The benefits system is a joke and is weighted still in favour of the feckless. My mum was 85 and still paying tax (my dads company pension combined with the state pension took her over the personal allowance threshold)

It was only when she was 85 and had a stroke and eventually became bed-bound did she manage to get any benefits; despite years of contribuions and years of trying to get it out of the hands of the undeserving

She was on single person council tax and got a free bus pass..... The only plasma TV she had was one I bought for her when Her eyes started to get bad....

I think we need a bottom up reform to this whole mess that is the benefits system.

Stop the lot and make them all apply again as they did in New Zealand I believe

That's the hole point of benefits Baz, they are to help the poor, if your mum was paying tax, she had a degree of wealth, the system is their to help the poor, it is not as many people think, I paid in so it owes me.

Kije..... the personal allowance figure was about £3,700 at the time. So she paid tax on anything above that.... which wasn't a lot, but that is not the point. She had no spare cash for the luxuries that a lot of the way-of-life doley scrougers take for granted (latest Iphone, Sky TV etc)

Considering we have foreigners living in multi-million pound Chelsea mansions on housing benefit, your comment is a little shallow to be honest.

At 85 and working since she was 12 or 13 up until retirement I think she deserved a little better in old age. But of course you and your liberal mates would prefer that our taxpayers money went on overseas aid and translators for assylum seekers I suppose

That's the hole point of benefits Baz, they are to help the poor, if your mum was paying tax, she had a degree of wealth, the system is their to help the poor, it is not as many people think, I paid in so it owes me.

But some of these poor are living in the lap of luxury especially the ones screwing every benefit they can & with the help of a not always deserved brand new 4x4 sat on the drive ,it is like the fiasco of giving foreign aid to India.I suppose the upside though is that the mobility system keeps the car industry working ,although not necessarily the British one !

I can manage ok but there must be a lot of early retired people who are getting shafted from a great height & need to find another job to finance their retirement .

An illegal immigrant from nigeria and his nigerian partner were jailed for trying to claim 1.8 million pounds using 1,400 stolen identities. They made 2,486 false claims. As it is they were paid 87,000 pounds they were not entitled to and it would have been more if a keen eyed staff member hadn't noticed they had used the same address for multiple claims.

Peter

I have have said many times, you are blinkered and only see what you want to see. <_<

Far from it. I have been involved in Community Groups since 1998 and got to know most of the Resident Associations and a lot more groups beside. During that time, I learned an awful lot about the people of Warrington.

Can you give me a brief resume of your activities in the Community?? Then I might be able to agree or disagree about your last comment.

The benefits system contains no incentives to work; as soon as a claimant starts a job, they lose most benefits, which simply means it's not worth it. Some system of continued bebnefit is required imo to incentivise folk, so they are actually better off for doing it. Perhaps then, we could get 2million youngsters out of bed and into the workplace and send the Poles home! :wink:

Trouble is Obs, why are employers taking on Poles, and not our young, is it that the Poles are already trained and their wage demands are low.

You are blaming the immigrants, but if are employers did not take them on their would not be a problem, you have to find out why they are being employed over the British work force. I suspect their will be many reasons.

Cos they're cheaper for a given qualification, tend to have a work ethic, and won't turn their noses up at menial tasks. Our employers take them on, cos Bruno Brown signed up early to opening our borders to them; I'm suprised we havn't yet had a huge influx of Greeks, Spanish and Portugese; to add to the indflux of non-EU immigrants. Just wait till we pull out of Afghanistan in 2014, all those "westernised" spivs in Kabul, will be heading our way, when the Taliban take over again. :wink: