The Paralympics

wolfie

I have been absolutley gob smacked by the courage and determination of these athletes. It has been a joy to watch.

These athletes are so dedicated and considering their disabilities they are amazing at what they do, my only problem is that I can only watch so much of the events then I become so overcome by emotion and it is not brought on by pity but admiration, the contestants are talented beyond belief.

I have been absolutley gob smacked by the courage and determination of these athletes. It has been a joy to watch.

I agree, I am obviously applauding the winners but some of them are far superior to others in the same classification that I find myself looking behind the leaders and I get annoyed when the cameras look elsewhere before they have all finished.

St. Petersburg native and former Navy lieutenant Brad Snyder has won two medals at the Paralympics in London.While setting a U.S. record in the men's 50-meter freestyle swimming event, he earned a silver medal.

He lost to China's Yang Bozun, who earned a world-record time of 25.93 seconds.

On Friday, he earned a gold medal in the 100-meter freestyle event.

Swimmers in these games are classified according to how their impairment affects their strokes.

The 28-year-old is a Northeast High School graduate.Snyder lost his sight in an IED explosion while serving in Afghanistan in September of last year.

In other Paralympic sports, St. Petersburg's Jen French and JP Creignou came in fourth in a two-person keelboat race.

St. Petersburg Times, Florida.

They are so driven it makes those of us that do not have a disability seem like real clods.

I think the most amazing sight I have seen are the swimmers with no arms.... watching the way they are able to move through the water, turn at the end of the pool and even get out of the pool at the end of the race is truly inspirational.

I am a rubbish swimmer and would stand no chance against any of them!!

Cleo.... did you see the swimmers with no arms doing back stroke?

Normally the able bodied swimmers grip the bar and push off backwards to start.... the chap with no arms held a towel in his mouth held by his helper so he could bend his knees to get the start momentum!

Cleo.... did you see the swimmers with no arms doing back stroke?

Normally the able bodied swimmers grip the bar and push off backwards to start.... the chap with no arms held a towel in his mouth held by his helper so he could bend his knees to get the start momentum!

Thats probably the one I saw :oops:

His face, slightly nervous stance and twitches sort of said he knew what sort of reception he was about to get before it happened ..... he looked odly relieved when the crowds did actually 'boo'.

As all politicians do, he made light of it and laughed it off 'well' <_<:unsure: Water off a ducks back :blink: