Is common sense about to prevail ?

I'm with you on this one Latch...I've just been listening to some wise sage on GMR(he's a presenter but didn't catch his name) He is dead against it saying that it would have a yo-yo effect, promoted club up one season and down the next...The usual business school gobble-de-gook.....business plans...future projections...the structure of the game won't support any more clubs blah bla blah. So what if the promoted club doesn't survive the season ? At least they have had a go. At the moment the season is as good as over for the bottom half clubs, knowing they won't go down under the present system they couldn't care less how they finish.

Incidentally on the same programme was John Stankovic(ex St Helens player and now coach of Rochdale?) He was saying what I've thought for years...That is he's sick and tired of English clubs attempting to ape the Aussies with the grinding out type of football...completion rates....wrestling.....kicking for position hoping the opposition make a mistake...He is of the opinion that what is needed are fewer Aussies and more Sam Tomkins...It's not very long ago that English RL had loads of Sam Tomkins who played the game off the cuff and didn't slavishly follow the *game plan*.

Incidentally on the same programme was John Stankovic(ex St Helens player and now coach of Rochdale?) He was saying what I've thought for years...That is he's sick and tired of English clubs attempting to ape the Aussies with the grinding out type of football...completion rates....wrestling.....kicking for position hoping the opposition make a mistake...He is of the opinion that what is needed are fewer Aussies and more Sam Tomkins...It's not very long ago that English RL had loads of Sam Tomkins who played the game off the cuff and didn't slavishly follow the *game plan*.

Tomkins is by far and above the best player in SL at the present time.

Which is a pleasant change from the endless procession of aussie imports who were at the time light years in front of any of our players.

We need to nurture local talent now rather than continue this endless cash plug hole that has drained our game for long enough !

• 2 months later...

It would seem that the game we all love has really entered rough waters.

As well as cash problems at Bradford Hull KR and Salford now Castleford have declared an "Amber Light Warning"

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_10385-ferres-warning-for-castleford-fans.html

To me it boils down to a simple equasion.. nothing to play for by half way through the season =meaningless matches=spectator disinterest=low crowds= DISASTER !

Promotion and Relegation is the obvious answer to reinvigorate fans thirst for the game down to the last games of the season.

Why can't the powers that be see it :roll:

Trawling around the forum boards a surprising number of speccies are considering not renewing their season tickets for next season...this is from all clubs...The RFL are in deep doo doo because of the ludicrous play off competition when 80% of the matches aren't really important...Even if the mighty Wire finish in 8th spot next season they will still be up there as one of the bookies favourites..It's a policy of the madhouse.I'm still undecided whether or not to renew my season ticket but I probably will, but if things don't change in the off-season I'll be turning my back and doing something a little less frustrating with my time.This could be my last season ticket. 1953-2012...a long long time.

The problem i could see with promotion & relegation is that ,at present, SL is full time professional whereas the lower divisions are at best only part time pros & it wouldn't be feasible to expect a Championship player to give up possibly secure employment for what might only be one season as a full time player.

What i would like to see is Lancs & Yorks divisions again...play all the clubs from your own division plus so many from the other division but these could be clubs that finished in a similar part of the table to your own team & have the top 2 from each division play off to be champions. That way at least some of the lower teams would have the chance of bigger gates when the big boys came to town.

With regard to gates ,apart from a formula that has been around for 15 years which seems to be in need of change because it is losing favour with fans, i think the main reason for falling gates is simply that the average man in the street, from which our fans are drawn, no longer has any spare cash in his pocket to attend games regularly because he has more pressing commitments.

With regard to gates ,apart from a formula that has been around for 15 years which seems to be in need of change because it is losing favour with fans, i think the main reason for falling gates is simply that the average man in the street, from which our fans are drawn, no longer has any spare cash in his pocket to attend games regularly because he has more pressing commitments.

I am certain that money is a big deciding factor .

When we last met Leeds in the Championship Final in 1961, we played Swinton at Wilderspool in the semi,and a crowd of 23,000 was recorded. Now were we all more affluent then and not as concerned about the admission price or was it that the 5 shilling entrance equates to £4.25p in todays money.Something we tend to overlook is the actual cost of admission these days.My friend and I sit in the North Stand and the Hull game cost us £53 . That is serious money,especially when it is on tv either at home or in the pub.

Just another consideration to juggle with.

But alas I don't have an answer :|