Met Office

asperity

Blimey.... perhaps we should all be working together and building an Ark rather than chatting on here :unsure::lol:

I ignore weather forcasts these days as none of them seem to get it right anyway, including the met office. I just tell my dog we're going for a walk then I look out of the window, smile, put on my wellies with ice grippers, my shorts, suncream, sunglasses and rain coat so I've got it covered for all eventualities :lol:

Mother nature (just like all other females) has her own mind and does what she likes when she likes and is very unpredictable :wink:

Just out of curiosity what is the state of the hole in the ozone layer these days. Not heard anything about for ages, has it got bigger ,smaller or just quietly vanished :blink:

As for the rain the reason we still have a hosepipe ban is that it is falling in the wrong places or possibly the wrong sort of rain. 8)

No idea Evils as I can't get my head around it but news today did say that apparently the sudden downpours have only compensated for the past few months of 'lack of rain' and the losses hence the areas that are now flooding are still findinding themselves experiencing hosepipe bans. They have not compensated for the other months lack of rainfall :blink:

Weird I know.

Anyway April 2012 is now said to have been the wettest April since records began.

... any idea how much do these met office bods get paid Asp <_<

PS Cleo, apparently May could be as bad if not worse so all those pretty little flowers you mention who have managed to survive April will probably drown in May :wink:

Ducks are not complaining. :wink::lol:

Apparently it's winter rain that we are short of as that is the rain that saturates the ground, soaks in and tops up the water table, rain in spring and summer evaporates causing more cloud and also runs of the the ground surface into the rivers causing flooding at lower levels, so looks like we are having lots of rain at the wrong time. :blink:

It might help, if the Water Companies actually increased their water capture and storage facilities, rather than selling them off to increase profits. Thames Water has sold off 25 resevoirs over the last decade. Then you've got a piped system that simply doesn't hold water, with leaks galore. :roll: :roll:

It might help, if the Water Companies actually increased their water capture and storage facilities, rather than selling them off to increase profits. Thames Water has sold off 25 resevoirs over the last decade. Then you've got a piped system that simply doesn't hold water, with leaks galore. :roll: :roll:

TV tonight says it's the aquafers wots the problem !! There's bin two dry Winters in a row. If there is a third one next Winter we're all screwed ! Best stock up on galvanised buckets !!

Incidently the ozone layer has been mended !! Unfortunately the success of the scientific communities efforts to do so have prompted them to shut down coal/gas fired power staions in favour of wind farms. Lately satelite imagery seems to indicate that wind farms generate heat islands by virtue of simply generating power from the wind !!

Yes the aquifers in the S/E are a problem, they're dry - so it might help if they were filled directly from a pipeline from Cumbria, which is overflowing with water. Problem is, it's estimated to cost £15billion, so the Gov are encouraging folk to use less water and "hopeing" that we'll have a very wet Winter. :wink:

A national water grid would kill two birds with one stone: it would solve the water problem and provide the kind of major infrastructure development that would provide employment for youngsters, to pay taxes (instead of consuming them) and thus provide a pension for the grumpies! :wink: .