7. Stockton Heath Area.

algy

The old Greenall's Brewery corner and MaltHouse at Widerspool.

StocktonHeaththeOldBrewerycornerMaltHouse.jpg

The old St. Thomas's Vicarage.

StocktonHeathVicarage.jpg

Walton Road.

StocktonHeathWaltonRoad.jpg

The War Memorial.

StocktonHeathWarMemorial.jpg

The Saracens Head, before the semi-detached houses were built on Wilderspool Causeway, there is a view right across the fields to Latchford.

StocktonHeathWilderspoolCausewayTheSaracensHead.jpg

The title says all. Before 1907 - no tram lines.

StocktonHeathBeaconsfieldTerracetheRedLionpub.jpg

Building the Co-op shop on London Road.

StocktonHeathBuildingoftheCoopthegardensofthecottageswereremovedforthelayingoftramlines.jpg

Henry Isherwood's cottage in London road.

StocktonHeathHenryIsherwoodscottageinLondonroad.jpg

A very early aerial view of the village, the landmarks are, St Thomas's School and playground Caldwell's spade works, The Red Lion bowling green.

StocktonHeathatramrunningupLondonRoadthroughthevillagec1920001.jpg

London Rd. taken from outside the Red Lion.

StocktonHeathLondonRdtakenfromoutsidetheRedLion.jpg

What year was the photo of the Sarries Algy (sorry Saracens Head... blame the shortening of the name on my other half as that his second home... or is it his first as I can't quite decide ha ha).

Also who was Henry Isherwood ? Clearly he was not a property developer or a gardener going ny the state of his cottage :shock: Where on London Road was it, any idea ? I hope you know or I'll have to search for him now and I really shouldn't

What year was the photo of the Sarries Algy (sorry Saracens Head... blame the shortening of the name on my other half as that his second home... or is it his first as I can't quite decide ha ha).

Also who was Henry Isherwood ? Clearly he was not a property developer or a gardener going ny the state of his cottage :shock: Where on London Road was it, any idea ? I hope you know or I'll have to search for him now and I really shouldn't

Dizz, I'm sorry on both counts I can only say that the Sarries' is after 1905, and no later than 1928, that's when houses around Cambrai avenue appeared, as for Henry's cottage, start searching my love!. :wink::D :grin:

Found these in:-

Online Parish Clerk & Family Search 1881 census.

Baptism: 5 Jan 1823 St Elphin, Warrington, Lancashire, England

Henry Isherwood - Son of James Isherwood & Catherine

Abode: Stockton Heath

Baptised by: J Topping Curate

Register: Baptisms 1822 - 1826, Page 7, Entry 49

Source: LDS Film 1562961

Probably the son of the above?.

Name: Henry Isherwood

Birth Year: 1850

Birthplace: Stockton Heath, Cheshire, England

Relationship to Head of Household: Head

Marital Condition: Married

Profession/Occupation: Warehouseman

Address: 173 Knutsford Rd

Census Place: Latchford (Cheshire), Lancashire, England

Disability:

Record Type: Household

Family History Library Film: 1341908

The National Archives Reference: RG11

Piece/Folio: 3799 / 60

Page Number: 3

Household Gender Age

Henry Isherwood M 31

Spouse Annie Isherwood F 29

Child Sarah E Isherwood F 5

Child Annie Isherwood F 3

Child Catherine Isherwood F 1

Dizz,Tracey, if you read this it might be worth looking at 1871/61/51 census as it was probably the first Henry Isherwood who lived in the cottage?.

Edited.

I have just found out a Cordwainer works with 'new' leather - makes new footware, whereas a Cobbler works with old leather - repairs footware.

Spooky, I've just finding Isherwood information too! I've got to post quickly so can't put the whole details.

1891 Found Henry Isherwood (the one whose christening you found), shoemaker living alone (a Widower) on Northwich Road, Stockton Heath severed from Appleton. Interestingly, next door is an Alice Isherwood, widow.

Can't find him in 1881.

In 1871 He's living with his wife Sarah and their children, James (b 1848) Henry (the one you found in 1881) (b1850) and William (b1852)

As I'm short of time I skipped back to 1841 and found him living with his parents James and Catharine and several siblings. Henry and his father are both shoe makers (just says Shoe M on the Census) and the address is only given as 'Stockton Heath'.

I keep seeing references to the census, how do you get connected to the census? And is it free or do they charge.As my name is French for John I was interested in the word cordwainer the first part of the word cord comes from the French word cordoniere meaning shoemaker.I know it's slightly o/t just thought I'd slip that in.Keep up the good work Algy I'm really enjoying these pictures from afar.

I keep seeing references to the census, how do you get connected to the census? And is it free or do they charge.As my name is French for John I was interested in the word cordwainer the first part of the word cord comes from the French word cordoniere meaning shoemaker.I know it's slightly o/t just thought I'd slip that in.Keep up the good work Algy I'm really enjoying these pictures from afar.

Jean, the 1881 census has always been free and the best sight I have found called 'Family Search' run by the official Web site of 'The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' takes a bit of getting used to but well worth persevering with, up to today you have always have had to pay to look at the the 1842 to 1911 census records (except 1881) but now 'Family Search have updated their site so that you can search them all, how good it is I'm not sure.

You can register (it's free, with no strings attached, but you may still use the site without registering).

This is the website:-

https://www.familysearch.org/

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

Operation "Prove I'm related to everyone in Stockton Heath" moves on as I can claim Henry as one of my own :mrgreen:

He is (drumroll) the paternal grandfather of the wife of my 3rd cousin 5x removed!

Oh yes, very close me and Henry :roll:

Tracey, you wouldn't happen to be heading eventually for Buckingham palace would you?. :wink::D :grin:

Spooky, I've just finding Isherwood information too! I've got to post quickly so can't put the whole details.

1891 Found Henry Isherwood (the one whose christening you found), shoemaker living alone (a Widower) on Northwich Road, Stockton Heath severed from Appleton. Interestingly, next door is an Alice Isherwood, widow.

Forgive me, but, when I read....next door is an Alice.... immediately came into my mind the words from the song.....I'll never get used to not living next door to Alice. Alice? Who the f**k is Alice!? :unsure::lol:

Anything is possible, The Queen is descended from a plumber. Kate Middleton's mother was a flight attendant. Her grandfather was a truck driver and his father was a builder's labourer. Camilla bulldog Parker Bowles is descended from a butler.

Queen Tracey? Hummmmm doesn't sound right. :unsure::lol:

• 8 months later...

Hi Algy,

Please can you tell me where all your photos have disappeared to?

I am a descendant of Henry Isherwood and was very interested to see the photo you had of his cottage on London Road some while back, but when I tried to have another look it had vanished! I did attempt to look at the museum and library galleries online as you suggested, but that is the one picture I have failed to track down!

I have been researching my family on and off for some time and a copy of the picture would be hugely appreciated. Can you advise please?

Many thanks,

Millie French

Algy,

That is FANTASTIC! Thank you so much.

I had been wanting to show thispicture to my mother, as she actually has a very bad photocopy, now very aged and crumpled, so she will be amazed to see this incredibly clearly. She was given the copy almost 30 years ago by a descendant of Henry's, Maggie Moss (nee Isherwood). Maggie was my grandmother's younger sister! Another family member (? possibly a great-niece of Maggie's) did some family research years ago and I also have a copy of that, although it is not complete.

Finally (!),do you have any idea whereabouts Henry's cottage would have been?

Thanks again,

Millie

Hi Millie,

We are exceptionally distantly related! If we're talking about the same people, Maggie had a sister called Annie, she married John Harrison whose grandmother was a Bennett. 

I was also sucked into this site by Algy's photos, although in my case it was Leigh Villas, we're all very lucky to have access to his collection. Stick around, there are lots of people on here who are very knowledgeable about the history of Stockton Heath, Lymm, Daresbury etc which your research could benefit from.

Tracey. 

Hi Tracey,

Well, fancy that!

My great aunt Maggie (b 1908) is later than the sisters you mention, according to my tree, but I see another Maggie and Annie higher up. Their father, Henry, appears to be the brother of my line of ancestry, Joseph, and their father was the Henry who mentioned by Algy, baptised in 1823!

It's a small world!

I am currently working on the family going back from my grandfather on my father's side; the Isherwoods are on my father's mother's side - and they are many! It's going to be a BIG project!

Millie

Algy,

That is FANTASTIC! Thank you so much.

I had been wanting to show thispicture to my mother, as she actually has a very bad photocopy, now very aged and crumpled, so she will be amazed to see this incredibly clearly. She was given the copy almost 30 years ago by a descendant of Henry's, Maggie Moss (nee Isherwood). Maggie was my grandmother's younger sister! Another family member (? possibly a great-niece of Maggie's) did some family research years ago and I also have a copy of that, although it is not complete.

Finally (!),do you have any idea whereabouts Henry's cottage would have been?

Thanks again,

Millie

I'm not ignoring you Millie, I'm sure we identified where the cottage was some time back, not sure if Dizzy remembers but I think she found the name in an old census, we could do with her reading this then perhaps she may be able to help.

I was/am reading Algy but I can't quite remember if we ever did find the actual location of his cottage or whether we only found reference to people of the same name living in the same area.  Do you or Millie have any idea of the date of the picture ? 

I'll read again from the beginning as I was half asleep last night.

Welcome to the forum by the way Millie French and it's great to have another person on here with an interest in family trees and local history. :D   

Hi Dizzy, Algy and Wavydavy,

Thank you for your replies - I am overwhelmed!

I've read and re-read the posts, followed Algy's link to look up family info and peered at the scribbly family tree my mother gave me, all since last night! (And I'm NOT supposed to be doing any of this at all just yet!).

Strangely, I seem to have an extra Henry on my tree: James (1775) had Henry (b1800) had Henry (b1823 d1883) had Henry (no date) had Annie and Maggie (related to Tracey Bennett)!

However, the research I have been given was done a long time ago, before computers and online access to records. Am not sure whether that makes it more or less prone to errors(?). I will give it all a thorough checking once I get going on this side of the family properly!

Wavydavy, I have been told there are a LOT of Isherwoods, so I couldn't possibly say whether Johnny is part of 'my lot' as my recent info is limited. But thank you so much for your interest.

What DOES intrigue me is the white writing on the photo ('LONDON ROAD   OLD STOCKTON HEATH'). Does this mean it was taken by a 'proper' photographer as opposed to a member of the family taking a 'snap'? Where, how and by whom would it have been identified as being 'Henry Isherwood's cottage'?

So many questions! So little time!

Thanks all for your help. Now, must get back to work!

Millie

Hi Tracey,

Those are the dates I have, but my scribbly tree has then a Henry in 1800 and then James 1775 and Catharine.

I haven't really got a grip yet on ancestry.co.uk as the majority of my research so far has been on my grandfather's side, rather than my grandmother's, and his family has its roots in Scotland, so I've been using a totally different website (and VERY good, if ever you need it - scotlandspeople).

I will, when I get round to it (!), go on ancestry, but I have a feeling that you have to use your credit within a specified time or you lose it - is that correct? Because I cannot guarantee getting the searches done within a time limit just at the moment.

Millie

With ancestry you join for  a specific time period and have unlimited access to all the records during that time period. Once it comes to an end, that's it. If you put your tree on there I think you can view it once your membership has expired but not amend it (could be wrong though). If you use Tesco Rewards you can use them to buy a copy of the Family Tree Maker software which comes with a 6 month ancestry membership, you can then use the software to download copies of the records onto your own pc so you can keep it once your membership has expired. 

Find my Past is different in that you can join on a 'pay as you go' basis which you pay for a number of 'credits' and then use them up every time you view a transcription or document, or you can join on the same basis as ancestry, ie a fixed time period. 

FMP is very good if you've got Cheshire ancestors as it has all the parish records and wills on there. Plus their search facility seems to be much better than ancestry's. I haven't made my tree on there though so don't know what that part of it is like. 

If you do join ancestry, drop me a PM and I'll give you access to my tree if that's any help.