7. Stockton Heath Area.

algy

I've got the 1823 Henry on the 1841 Census living with James and Catharine Isherwood (ages given as 40 and 45) The 1841 Census doesn't list the relationships between individuals so although it's reasonable to think that James and Catharine were Henry's parents it's not a given. The ages were also recorded slightly strangely. Anyone between 40 and 45 would be listed as 40 yrs and any 45 - 49 would be listed as 45. Hope this helps.

Many thanks for that, Tracey. A real help. My scribbly tree seems to have James older (b1775) with a Henry inserted prior to the 1823 Henry (ie the 1823 Henry's dad is Henry 1800 and James would be his grandfather according to my info).

BUT as I said earlier, I've no idea what sources were used and it's some considerable time ago, so when I do eventually get round to this branch, I will use your advice and yes, I would be very grateful to look at your tree. Thank you.

Millie, I'm afraid I can't nail the whereabouts of the cottage, however I would say that the photo was taken between 1880 and 1900. There is a small building on the left of the road and to the right of the number 101 at the top of the second map that has possibilities, however it is all conjecture. Ignore the small red cross that is an error made by me.

a.jpg

b.jpg

I don't think Henry Isherwoods cottage was as far up London Rod (or Northwich Road as it was called back in the early days).

I just looked at the 1891 census which is half way between the date you think the photo may be from.

I found Henry Isherwood (age 67 dob c1824, widow, shoemaker) living nexxt door to an Alice Isherwood (head, age 46 dob c1845) and her son James H (aged 13) and Arthur Cook (age 7, 'nurse child').

Anway having looked at the area the enumerator actually covered it was from Stockton Heath Swing Bridge (which did exist in 1891 and not on your older map) and upto Mitchell Street (ie just before the London Bridge Pub/Bridgewater Canal.

I couldn't find an 1891 map to follow the exact route on but I did it on the closest one I could find and by my reconning Henry Isherwoods Cottage must have been somewhere in between the area that is Stockton Heath Village Square today where the Mullbery Tree is and Beech House (as shown on your maps).  Sort of in the first half of the road between todays village square and the London Bridge Pub if that makes any sense.

PS remembereing of course that the road layout was slightly different in those days.

EEK....Gotta go cos my other half is shouting at me as he's been waiting to use this damn machine for almost 2 hours now ... OOPS   :oops:  :lol:  

Dizz, I think your correct!, there is a small building on the left of the road and to the right of the number 101 at the top of the second map that has possibilities, however it is all conjecture. I shall edit that post as it seems that Millie hasn't seen it. I am aware that the ship canal and swing bridge were not there in 1877, I used them purely for reference, the road that continued from there to Warrington is Wilderspool Causeway and I do know that you know, but Millie may not. :roll::wink::D :D

Dizz, I think your correct!, there is a small building on the left of the road and to the right of the number 101 at the top of the second map that has possibilities, however it is all conjecture. . :roll::wink::D :D

Could be Algy as your original photo shows andother building behind it and there's another building behind the one show on the map (near number 101).

I guess the Library/Museum might know as maybe the picture is in their collection too hence the writing on it, although like I say in 1891 the road was Northwich Road not London Road.

Any idea when it became London Road though as maybe the pic is slightly older than we think and the cottage still existed then hence the writing on it so we could look at newer maps too ?

for Millie, Tracey and Demelzadoe..... I forgot to mention that on the same 1891 census I mentioned above showing Henry and Alice Isherwood living  next door to each other in Stockton Heath there is a ''John Bennett' dob c1864, age 27, Police Constable, born Marple Cheshire'..... living 3 doors up from Henry.

One of yours too I presume ? :lol:

Phew!! I don't know about Dizzy, but I feel dizzy after all your frantic work and postings! You are AMAZING people!

Please don't change anything - I am happy to read through the posts and work it out... and it's fascinating to follow your thoughts and admire your knowledge. I won't be able to get back to this till Thursday at the earliest, but meanwhile, thank you all so much for your interest.

Can anyone explain where the white writing comes from on the picture? I assumed it was a postcard, so put on when the picture was taken. Which would mean it would have to be London Road. Or am I talking nonsense?

Millie