K9 registration -

observer

The latest gem from the Ministry of Ideas is a law to force dog owners to microchip puppies. Whilst possibly a good idea in theory, and no doubt one that could apply itself to humans too; do they really think that the Chavs that breed attack dogs to protect drug dens against Police raids, will actually comply with such an edict?! :roll: :roll:

So how does it work then.

If I breed dogs then the pups have to be micro chipped. But at what point in their lives. Before I sell them, In which case all the microchips will be registered to me, or will it be the responsibility of the new owner to get them chipped.

What if the new owner is buying it for a present for their grand daughter or best friend who's previous dog has died. if the new owner does not register that they are the owners of the dog, then any incidents with the dog and the police come knocking at my door and it the arm up the back and a swift trip to the local nick to try and answer questions on a subject I know little or nothing about.

Yes responsible owners might register themselves but how do you do that. My current dog was Inherited as the previous two owners passed away. He might be chipped but how do I tell , there is nothing in his paperwork to say that he is just a long list of his pedigree for if I wanted to register him with the kennel club.

Easy enough to say and do as chipping does not take more than a few seconds, but difficult for some of the reasons I have stated to check on the "true" owner.

For those interested my dog is a pedigree shitzu, thirteen years old and though he is down as Black and tan is mostly black with a few grey hairs now and his official kennel club name is "Handsome boy of Cheshire" but will occasionally answer to the name Benji, stinky or put that sock down. <_<

Presumably all pet owners are registered with vets and all vets can identify if a chip is present or not.

I have noticed on several walks around my area that there are a number of older, quite infirm people, walking with sticks etc. and with dog on or off a lead. These people could not pick up after their dogs, it would be physically impossible without them falling over, therefore they don't do it, I've watched them!

I know many pets are important companions to the elderly, but should there be a fitness to own a dog test in these cases, or a responsibility to ensure a fit and mobile person walks the dog?

Good point SL, some old folk are simply not fit enough to do lots of things, like drive a car - perhaps they could be "put down" with their dogs?! :wink: Responsible dog owners will train and exercise their mutts properly - unfortunately they are few and far between. As for "the chip"; the same chavs who don't register a car or get insured, will just ignore such rules, whilst the rest of us comply. :roll:

Good point SL, some old folk are simply not fit enough to do lots of things, like drive a car - perhaps they could be "put down" with their dogs?! :wink: Responsible dog owners will train and exercise their mutts properly - unfortunately they are few and far between. As for "the chip"; the same chavs who don't register a car or get insured, will just ignore such rules, whilst the rest of us comply. :roll:

That's a bit extreme, observer, and not what I was thinking at all! Some enterprising person could set up a volunteer dog-walking team to be matched with the elderly and infirm who could register with them, vets could monitor and suggest it to owners, after all, we are supposed to be living in 'The Big Society'. Pets are important for the mental health of the elderly in particular, and they probably already worry that they are not looking after them as well as they once could.