BT Infinity

Bill

I think there are limits on the deal that I took but given we don’t download much it wasn’t an issue. It’s the upload speed I was after and I’m happy to see I’m getting nearly 7 meg which is about fifteen times faster than we had on their standard service. In any case, the way the technology is driving these companies, I think it’s only a matter of time that such limits will be things of the past.

Bill :)

Sounds good Bill and hope you can keep up with it :wink::lol:

How much does it cost a month as Virgin emailed us last week saying we are all being upgraded for free to faster speeds etc, but having just checked their map it seems my we wont be upgraded until at least June/July :evil:

Although I have never ever had any problems with their internet or anything else in all the years we have been with them I think they are starting to take the <you know what> now. I'm still on 10 meg download and last time I asked about upgrading to 20 meg they wanted to take my arms and legs in extra payment despite us also having their XL TV and Phone package.

New V customers do get a better deal though including free home hubs and faster speeds etc as an incentive to sign over, whereas long standing customers like me get .. errrrm... 'spat' on :unsure: .

Is yours an incentive newby deal and will it go up ? I might take the plunge and finally leave my safe and reliable nest and go elsewhere now too :(

I have sky internet and had it for nearly 5 years now.

It always worked great until about 12 months ago when we started having problems. I had just renewed my contact with them then it went very slow making everybody rather frustrated. I phoned Sky several times only to be told "technical issues" or I am "causing interference in my house." (easy excuse) My next door neighbour had exactly the same problems.

I am only paying £7.50 a month and I used to think that was great but I am now thinking of going else where when my contract expires in a month or so. My parents are on Virgin and they have had nothing but problems with them also so I am probably looking at BT but they are the most expensive.

I don't really mind paying a little bit more but if I do I expect a good reliable service.

Anyone had any problems with BT or any other provider?

As a general rule, Virgins modern cable system not being reliant on an antiquated wire system is always going to be more reliable. I’ve had cable at my present house for eight years now and it’s never missed a beat. The infinity system does bring good speed but the fibre cable only runs to the nearest green junction box and then from there it comes over rusty old wires.

The length of these wire runs will affect the final speed but more importantly any corroded terminals may introduce noise and this can result in quite sever degradation of the service. I suffered several years of intermittent problems where the speed would suddenly drop to a crawl and the fault was only rectified when they finally replaced all of the many connections between my office and the green box.

So what I’m saying is if you have issues with Sky now and they say they can’t fix it then it’s likely to be the BT wires Sky use to get their service to you house. So a move to Infinity may result in you still having issues. :roll:

Bill :)

Ooohh that does sound a bit expensive Inky :shock: Do you get any of their sky tv packages aswell though ?

Yep, full package.

Unlimited internet, unlimited calls (except overseas), unlimited free use of all BT wi-fi hotspots when I'm out and about, line rental, unlimited online storage, free website hosting, full BT TV package (but I don't use that much coz I just download and stream anything I want from various places).

Add all that up seperately and £44 isn't a bad deal!

Some are, some are BT's own routers.

But the ones hosted on customer's routers use a different SSID to the customer SSID, so any "dodgy" activity which goes on through it does not land at the door of the customer. (Of course, there's nothing to stop the customer connecting via the public side of his own router to do dodgy stuff, but then he could do exactly that via any wi-fi hot spot anywhere)