Northern Lights

sadako

There has been a large coronal emission that has sent loads of charged particles into space. And I believe most of them will pass to the north of the earth. As these charged particles are what cause the Northern Lights then, yes this is possible. But whether these Northern Lights will be visible through the blizzards is moot. :wink: :wink: :wink:

I’ve only ever seen them the once and that was from here about twenty years ago. Just as now, the effect wasn’t dead north where you might expect to see it but almost due east. At first I thought it was an aircraft vapour trail being illuminated somehow but the odd movement just wasn’t right and the colour was slowly changing from green to purple. It only lasted about ten minutes but just long enough for the wife to work out I was completely bonkers until it came on the late night news about it.

Back then I was a keen amateur radio enthusiast and auroral events gave a unique opportunity to “reflect” radio signals off the “curtain” giving extremely long-range VHF communications. The signals were very distorted and sounded like someone with laryngitis trying to whisper, so I guess with me doing stuff like this I shouldn’t be surprised when wife calls me bonkers. :oops:

Bill :)

The answer to that is yes. These things are generally huge taking up a whole lump of the sky but they're not super bright so you'll need a reasonably dark sky without too many lights. The one I saw from here was quite low down so look towards the horizon rather than up.

Bill :)

There were some photo's of last nights showing on the news this morning.

Absolutely stunning with greens and blues spanning the sky. Alas it said conditions would not be clear enough in most places today although north of Scotland may get a little glimse if there's a clear spot.

Ah well, we shall just have to imagine them I suppose :cry:

Saw them, winter 1984 in Lappeenranta on the Finnish Russian border then again 1994 in Rovaniemi, a unique and awe inspiring experience, and although it is a regular occurrence the Finns never tire of seeing them, not sure about the Russians as they see through a constant cloud of wood alcohol vapour anyway.