Private NHS -

observer

Seems we're going to finish up with half an NHS, as the Tories allow 49% of time to be devoted to private patients. So we'll have a two tier NHS; with one's place in the queue governed by wallet size rather than clinical need - and it seems the Lib Dums are going along with this nonesence too. :rolleyes:

It's been like that for some time. A few years ago, I had a hernia, went to the Doctor and he got me sorted at Spire as an NHS patient. Plus as I have said before,the Consultants work for both. It could be said that efficiency of service will improve, and wallet size may have nothing to do with it.

Slightly worried about it myself, but think your last comment is a bit extreme, Obs.. For matters of life and death the NHS is pretty kind to we peasants.

Think everybody agrees that something needs to be done about the health service. The question is what?

Just as an aside - if more people went private, would not that ease the burden on the NHS as private patients already, arguably, do.

Happy days

Well, it seems the pressure is on for the NHS, with Trusts claiming 25% of beds could be freed up by providing care at home. I believe what they are refering to, is mainly elderly patients, who remain tied to a hospital due to a lack of care services in the community. So, the NHS is short of cash, and want's to off load funding responsibilties to Social Services, run by cash strapped Local Councils; relying on failing Granny farm providers. Looks like the elephant in the room is euthanasia. :shock:

Obs.... do you have any idea what you are wittering on about?

Home care for the elderly is not free....they pay a contribution towards the cost. The more you have, the more you pay. and as for "Granny Farm Providers", that is a disgraceful way to describe people who care about the old people in their care.

Social services may have been a crap deliverer when you were in charge, but I have had only good things to say about the care they and the care agency employed give to my mum....

The biggest problem I find is that they are TOO eager to send people like my mum to hospital. My mum is housebound; very frail but has the heart of an ox! every so often, the "frail" bit gets the upper hand and because of everyone covering their arses due to the ambulance chasing society we live in, they will call an ambulance and bingo.... mum ends up in hospital.

That is where the problems start because the proceedures for dealing with old folk are so long and drawn out that a simple "accident" ends up with a two week stay. This yhappend to mum when she stretched on her chair and slid out of it onto the floor. Because she can't lift herself, she was there when the carers arrived..... one ambulance and a two week stay in hospital followed instead of just picking her up and putting her back in the chair.... (she was fine by the way.....)

They need to get the process speeded up[ for dealing with the elderly and get them in and out as quick as possible and back home!

Suggest YOU wake up and smell the coffee Baz: most charities involved are warning of a "care" crisis, as the elderly demographic increases, and with it, increases in care dependency due to more singles with no close relatives and increases in cases of alzeimers. There is a funding crisis in the NHS and in Social Services; with demand increasing while funding decreases and not everyone has the private means (like their own home) to fund private care, and private care homes are going bust - or can't you see beyond your own personal circumstances to see it?! :roll:

Errm nope Peter; the idea that elderly folk can be "gotten out as quickly as possible" presumes one of two things - (a) that there are adequate and affordable home care services available or (b)there are close relatives who care enough to do the job for free; nowadays there are more elderly folk without the means or the close relatives to cope. :roll: