recorded phone calls

Evil Sid

A thought passed my way earlier after calling a certain phone number and receiving the usual "this call may be recorded for training purposes".

Firstly can you ask for a copy of the phone call and are they obliged to supply one if asked?

Secondly if they do use your particular call for training purposes are they obliged to inform you that they are going to use your particular call and to pay you a royalty for it's use?

I know that by listening to the recording stating that they are probably fulfilling the first part of the second question by informing you that they may use it but is that construed as consent from you.

Just curious about it and wondered if anybody has ever asked about it during a phone call that "may be recorded for training purposes".

If you were to go to the actual place to train a person then you would expect some recompense if only travelling expenses.

:|

I write software part of which involves recording the conversation between the operator and the person requesting a taxi. The rules are fairly simple in that provided the recording is only used as an aid to the company and not passed to any outside organisation then there’s no need to even inform you. The operator knows the calls are recorded so they’ll always try to be polite even when some of the customers get very abusive.

I’ve never heard about anyone asking for a copy (other than the police) but they’re just simple wav files that could simply be emailed.

Anyhow, most importantly, I wouldn’t spend your training royalties just yet Sid!

Bill :)

So what happens to the bit of the conversation when the taxi operator continually says "the car will be there in 5 minutes" and then the car doesn't turn up and you keep ringing back saying "the car still isn't here".... "yes love; he's just round the corner" or " he's just at the top of your street now"!??

I bet they delete those calls!

I agree with Bill but would add that I think you can ask for a copy or at least a transcript of a call. After all it is information about you just like a letter or email or stuff on a data base. As such you can make a request and they have to comply but can make a small charge which I think used to be 50p with inflation probably one and six. I have also heard recently that you can ask if any info is held on company emails about you - just think if that got out and became common knowledge - what fun people could have - maybe Warington Worldwide may have to provide details under the data protection act of whatever it is or does the search engine suffice? :idea:

I’ve never heard of anyone asking to hear what they’ve said but I’ve seen recording being played back to them when they’ve complained and inevitably, it’s extremely embarrassing for the customer.

The rudeness and arrogance of some of the public has to be heard to be believed especially when they don’t know it’s being recorded. Given this, I think it’s far more likely that they’d be requesting that the stuff be deleted rather than risk anyone hearing them sounding like a total pillock. :mrgreen:

Bad news for them though, because delete buttons on call recording and logging systems defeats the object so they don’t exist.

Bill :)