Where in Warrington Quiz 2

P J

Damn... when you said 'later' I thought you meant you were putting more on tonight PJ. I've missed all the fun. <_<

So with only number 10 left I'll have a stab at that one ha ha.

Is it the gable end of the white building on Greenalls Avenue (near Morrisons Stockton Heath). Sorry I don't know what the buidling is called and I think it's just rented offices.

PS Bill... how on earth did you guess number 5 was Newtown House from the photo. You clever sod :P:blink:

Thank goodness for that I can go to bed now without fearing that I will toss and turning all night thinking of 'white'. :lol:

Definately 'same again tomorrow'.. although not exactly the same or we will all get them straight away :P

Algy and Arty with the old (oops and a few from others too :oops: ), now you with the newer... what more could we ask for. It's all good fun that's for sure and better than moaning about stuff :D:lol:

Still waiting to hear how Bill sussed number 5 out though and are all those dangling cables in that one and the Library your handy work PJ :wink:

Dizzy, how did you work out that it was the Warps?

Now I know the answer I can recall the windows, but I would have needed a clue. Well done.

I knew it was an old building because of the drain pipe etc and after wracking my brain it was the only other white building I could remember ever seeing.

So really it was just a wild and frustrated last guess :wink::D

That was my birth place as well..1941 as a bomb went off I was told..

There was a landmine dropped around Kingsway somewhere near Wash Lane I believe, and there were another two around town that I am aware of, one was at 1705hrs on 14th September 1940 dropped on the canteen at Thames Board killing 14 and seriously injuring 21 the total casualties were 150 a lot of those killed and injured were children.

The other:-

Credit to Warrington Museum & Art Gallery - WARRINGTON AT WAR 1939-45

Bombed Out at Howley, September 1940

By early September Warrington was experiencing the fiercest air raids of the war. This bomb fell opposite Rylands Works in Church Street (the present day site of Sainsbury's supermarket). During the ten hour raid the town had its first fatalities when a courting couple and another male passer by were killed here in the street, only yards from a public air raid shelter. The occupants of the bombed house had a lucky escape as they had taken refuge under a sturdy kitchen table.

I knew it was an old building because of the drain pipe etc and after wracking my brain it was the only other white building I could remember ever seeing.

So really it was just a wild and frustrated last guess :wink::D

seeing as the council have allowed most of the old buildings around the town to be demolished; I guess it wouldn't have taken many guesses to get it right!! :wink: