Season so far...

Furious Town Boys

What are everyone's thoughts on the season so far???

Mine are as follows:

Not really the start to the season we all wanted and hoped for. I think we have continued the poor form from the end of last season and never really got that out of us.

Squad improvements? We had all summer to replace Mike Tomlinson, Gavin Salmon and even Tony Evans, can anyone really see good solid replacements to take us on from last seasons commendable play off push? I dread to think what we will be like once Sam Finley goes.

Can anyone really see us going into big games like last season against Chorley & Chester away and getting anything?? (before any smart ar#e comments I know we don't play these teams this season but to similar level) There was always that little bit of hope that we could actually do something and win those matches, this season from the way the team is playing I wouldn't even dream about that.

Why has Duffy lost all of his passion, anger and abuse? He used to get everyone motivated, shouting at the players for making a mistake but there's non of that this season from him.

It is a far cry from what Joey Dunn said at the end of season awards night, quote "I want to win the league and push for promotion" "hands up who doesn't believe in that" - response everyone agreed (players wise) well to be fairly honest they are not playing that way so far!!

Bring back pritch and quickly, how Oldfield ever played for Liverpool academy I don't know, some of his mistakes last night were not what his so called talent lived up to be.

It might be a good thing going out of all the cups early so that the league is the only thing to worry about but the club has lost a lot of money from this.

Highlight so far - 5-1 win away at Salford on the opening day & 4-0 away win a Bamber Bridge just the two games! Last season at this stage we had a handful to pick from.

17th in the league table with 10 points from 10 games is hardly promotion chasing form, a defeat on saturday and it will all but confirm we have no chance. Witton Albion, Durham, Farsley and Woodley Sports are all above us, from what I believe we are far better than those teams....obviously not?

My Adult season ticket is very nearly on offer if anyone may be interested...

Pritch is still out for a while having spoken to him, so lets behind Chris in goal, he has pulled off some remarkable saves. Be good to see Louis when he gets back, its been a long road without him, agree about Duffy, he used to gee everyone up at times last season. River has vastly improved this season, and for me so far is player of the season. Tomo was always going to be massively hard to replace, but River is doing a good job. Lets get behind the lads, starting on Saturday at Harrogate, theres a lot left to play for, so lets not be too negative at this stage of the season

It was all too noticeable last night that we do not have a natural leader; Tom makes an excellent centre half, but is not vocal enough on the pitch. What was also evident was the number of, arguments is too strong a word, lets say disagreements, that happened between town players, what has happened to the team spirit that was so evident last season.

I agree with Woody that River has improved immensely, but he is not really a central defender, with a back four of the new signing Matty Cross, Tom, River, Mike, and Louis on the return we should have a solid defensive line in front of whoever the goalkeeper is.

Once the midfield and front line have more confidence in the backline they can then push and do their attacking rolls.

It has been a disappointing start to the season, but Town have produced short bursts of great football during some of the games, all that is needed is to make the “burst” a bit longer and we should rise up the table.

My view is we are close to doing well. Salford away perhaps set the wrong impression (although did show what we are capable of) and generally i think we have only been short in one or two key areas. We have stregthened across the park in the last few weeks and that I think is starting to show. Last night I felt at 2 down we might go more down but very pleased to see the second half display. Aside from the arguments about Saturday, we should have pinched it last night. I undersatnd Sheff are doign very well in their league and Bradford PA were intially given a run for their money.

I am loathed to pick on individual players but there have been a few who have not met the standard they showed last year and a few have improved. I think we know who they are. However I agree that there appears to be a lack of cohesion between the players. When they do fight as one, there are few who cannot be beaten.

As supporters, we need to ensure that we are as one behind them and encourage them as one then i think the results will come. If we string one or two good victories together then i can see us still pushing for a play off although I agree that we need to start sooner rather than later. Perhaps chants for those individuals who have been identified as a little lacking rather than the usual suspects may help them along.

Just a thought.....

This last few games we have been playing brilliantly, but we NEVER shoot and we seem to alternate between good passing football and Allardyce style hoofball (which is usually to the shortest player on the pitch...)

We could start by looking for a tall striker, a decent reserve keeper and a centerback. I'm not being funny, but Joey Dunn could even look in the pub leagues for a player or two.

Sol Campbell is available on a free... and Beckham will be in a month

Edit: Just want to point out that I don't think pub league players are better than who we've got. Neither is David Beckham. I'm just saying there could be a few half-decent players for ASDA Westbrook Athletic who no-one will bother looking at.

Peter, I am not whingeing I am merely pointing out my opinions as a fan, which I have done all the time in the past.

I also don't want the season to be over before christmas having paid for a full season ticket!! which on many performances this season it is looking that way.

As I pointed out we are and should be better than a lot of teams higher up the table than us but I am not too sure we are at the minute, my post was made before the announcement of this new signing so lets hope he last longer than Doughty our last defensive signing.

WireWarrior - I have to agree with you this time, I would much rather watch a winning side 1-0 each week at this level than playing well and losing. We are not at the stage to impress people with football skills and play, it is about getting the points and winning matches! Playing the best football but losing each week is not going to get the fans to Cantilever Park.

Has Doughty left...? I thought he was a quality defender for this level, its a shame if he has left. I know players can leave and join whoever wants them, but this is just stupid. Should atleast be a limit...

I am also feeling similar with the season ticket thing, but after 2 more games I won't lose money by not turning up, so its free entry if we are winning and no charge if we aren't, and its looking like we aren't at the moment.

For anyone questioning the commitment and passion of the Warrington Town team can I suggest you check out the picture galleries - what is the famous expression - a picture is worth a thousand words.

hickey-celebrates.jpg

I hear a lot of feed back from the loyal supporters who travel home and away to nearly every single game - and I have not had a single negative comment about the club.

The one major low point was the heavy defeat at Garforth - but that is in the past now and I continue to look forward to the future in a positive manner and as a club we will always look forward on how we can better ourselves in every area - while learning from the past - but not dwelling on it in a negative manner.

I have probably got closer to many of the players than I have in the past - and I know they are passionate to do well for Warrington.

If we all stick together as a team and push forward, instead of looking back in anger, we will come through stronger and better as a club.

Looking at the Fixtures lets see where the Club is at the end of the month, we have 3 games we should win but they are now must wins in the league - Harrogate (away) Trafford (home) & Radcliffe (away).

9 points from the 9 available with maybe another game to come due to our FA Trophy exit then there is still hope, anything less and it is too much to come back with the bad weather due end of November and December we will be playing 3 games a week again come end of season and needing to win all of them for an outside chance is just not going to happen.

I have never doubted the Club off the field, I have seen the Club improve dramatically over the past 4 years but the League table never lies!! We are 17th with the Target of gaining promotion????

Looking at the Fixtures lets see where the Club is at the end of the month, we have 3 games we should win but they are now must wins in the league - Harrogate (away) Trafford (home) & Radcliffe (away).

9 points from the 9 available with maybe another game to come due to our FA Trophy exit then there is still hope, anything less and it is too much to come back with the bad weather due end of November and December we will be playing 3 games a week again come end of season and needing to win all of them for an outside chance is just not going to happen.

I have never doubted the Club off the field, I have seen the Club improve dramatically over the past 4 years but the League table never lies!! We are 17th with the Target of gaining promotion????

It has been confirmed that we do not have a game on 22nd (FA Trophy 1Q day).

In addition the Trafford game is provisional as if we win at Prescot on Tues we will be going to Newcastle Town instead that night.

The team is too inconsistent and lacks height - Warrington must have the smallest team in the entire football pyramid.

I think there are only two players who touch six foot in the whole squad - hence when they resort to the long ball game they don't stand a chance.

How many times do you see a Warrington player out jump the defence to head home a goal - not very often.

How often do you see a visiting player out jump the Warrington defence and head home a goal - quite often.

The squad needs a couple of big 6ft plus solid players adding to the spine of the team before the team will progress any further.

There is plenty of skill in the team but not enough height or strength. Simples

• Upvote 1

For anyone questioning the commitment and passion of the Warrington Town team can I suggest you check out the picture galleries - what is the famous expression - a picture is worth a thousand words.

hickey-celebrates.jpg

I hear a lot of feed back from the loyal supporters who travel home and away to nearly every single game - and I have not had a single negative comment about the club.

The one major low point was the heavy defeat at Garforth - but that is in the past now and I continue to look forward to the future in a positive manner and as a club we will always look forward on how we can better ourselves in every area - while learning from the past - but not dwelling on it in a negative manner.

I have probably got closer to many of the players than I have in the past - and I know they are passionate to do well for Warrington.

If we all stick together as a team and push forward, instead of looking back in anger, we will come through stronger and better as a club.

Hi Gary

I know this is in the past but that photo was in the second half, the first half was the most pathetic and embarrsing performance of the season, many of the suppporters spent over an hour trying to get to the game only to watch an inept performance from the team. I for one voiced my discontent straight at the players.

Joey must have heard me and fired them up because in the second half did improve.

as to answer the original question we look like in the last few weeks there has been some grass shoots of improvment however we are a long way from a full medow.