Aikin Knowles's Bridge - was it ever listed?

Geoffrey Settle

My link

Hi you historian buff's.

A colleague of mine has been asked about an old, possibly Victorian Iron Bridge off Holcroft Lane/Glazebrook Lane by someone doing research. :idea:

I have found a reference to Aikin Knowle's Bridge near the Peat Works and a road track that goes to Little Woolden Hall - could the bridge have once crossed Glaze Brook at this point :?:

I used to pass this way on my long sunday training run put I never saw a bridge.

If you select the Ordnance Survey Map option (from London Street Map) using the link above and move to towards the Motorway you will see where I mean.

Where is it on your map Geoff as I just looked but cant see it and I can't see it on google earth either. Probably just me looking in the wrong place though. :oops:

Once I know exactly where it is I shall have a search for info.

I found it on a map on the victorian e-mapping service (Tithe maps etc) si I know where you mean now but that was the modern map. Rather frustratingly there are no tithe maps or 1875/1910 OS maps availabe online for that area yet. If you ring chester archives they probably have copies though as you can tell a lot from those.

I found it on a map on the victorian e-mapping service (Tithe maps etc) si I know where you mean now but that was the modern map. Rather frustratingly there are no tithe maps or 1875/1910 OS maps availabe online for that area yet. If you ring chester archives they probably have copies though as you can tell a lot from those.

e-Victorian tithemaps Cheshire Maps

Thanks Dizzy I have found those maps as well - I will pass on the info. :mrgreen:

• 8 months later...

I remember my Father showing me the bridge when I was a child. He told me it was haunted which is why I remember it. It was quite a small bridge over a little stream. I doubt it ever went over the Glazebrook as it didn't seem big enough.

I live in London now but have visited Glazebrook a few times and have walked up the lane as far as the Motorway from the village looking for it. I can only assume it was removed when they built the Motorway. It's a pity as I still have strong memories of it.

I'll be staying in Glazebrook at the end of May I'll have another look just in case.

Cheers Phil

Hi and welcome to the forum Phil :D

I would have stayed well away from it if I had been told that (but I am a whimp when it comes to creepy ghostly stuff and always have been :oops:)

Did your dad ever say why he thought it was haunted and by who or what :shock:

Maybe it was it just a way of making sure you didn't play near there though :wink:

• 10 years later...
On 8/8/2011 at 7:53 PM, Geoffrey Settle said:

My link

Hi you historian buff's.

A colleague of mine has been asked about an old, possibly Victorian Iron Bridge off Holcroft Lane/Glazebrook Lane by someone doing research. :idea:

I have found a reference to Aikin Knowle's Bridge near the Peat Works and a road track that goes to Little Woolden Hall - could the bridge have once crossed Glaze Brook at this point :?:

I used to pass this way on my long sunday training run put I never saw a bridge.

If you select the Ordnance Survey Map option (from London Street Map) using the link above and move to towards the Motorway you will see where I mean.

On 9/29/2022 at 3:35 PM, franuk said:

While browsing the internet looking for information about an old bridge I had taken a photo off a few years ago the name on it was" Aikin Knowles’s Bridge" I found a post from a Geoffrey Settle   8 Aug 2011 - copied below asking about what appears to be the same bridge at the time the photo was taken it didn't look much like a bridge just one side of it with the same name on it, It may have been part demolished although  I think this has now been completely demolished, if anyone is interested in the photo's  please let me know

Franuk

Aiken Knowle's Bridge is shown on the Ordnance Survey 1:25,000 maps (SJ69/79 or Explorer 276) at the junction of Holcroft Lane and the lane to Little Woolden Hall, which google shows as Jepsons; so going East off Holcroft Lane North of the M62 and South of Hole Mill Farm.

Here is a link to an old OS map showing the name which is at the National Library of Scotland. 

Explore georeferenced maps - Map images - National Library of Scotland (nls.uk)

From the link you will see that the map is cantered at approximately 53.44011N, 2.47621W which if entered into Google maps search bar will give an approximate location.

See also http://publications.naturalengland.org.uk/file/5304868884447232 

and 

Major road works to strengthen Culcheth bridge begins | Warrington Guardian

The article suggests the bridge is where the name on the map suggests on Holcroft Lane to protect the road from the drain to the West. Since there were road works there it will no doubt be significantly different from 2020. However since it was the subject of roadworks there should be further details available from the Warrington Borough Council who commissioned the works as the Highway Authority.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Confused52
Updated with extra information source

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I think I know now why I couldn’t find the bridge on Google maps.

It looks like the small stream that run through there has been run underground some time in the past and more recently the stonework of the unneeded bridge was removed and replaced by a bit of tarmac. The drain cover on the left is the only indication that the stream is still exists.

http://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4398996,-2.4770356,3a,75y,324.67h,58.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smbpEMfiNxdDaRpuEScJmTQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Zooming out on the Google image allows you to see the stream originating from three small ponds and running down towards Glaze Brook before disappearing in that clump of trees. Another old unused bridge crossing the now non-existent stream can be seen on the other side on the road leading to Jepsons.

http://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4398996,-2.4770356,3a,36y,55.2h,74.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smbpEMfiNxdDaRpuEScJmTQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Bill 😊