Horobins Shop on Sankey Street....

Bazj

These photos are from the Facebook site and show Horobins newsagents on Sankey Street. I remebr going in there to get magazines which I had missed a few weeks before and he always still had them in!!

I understand that after his death, the shop was found to contain loads of very old newspapers and other things like that....never heard the outcome though!!

HorrobinsShop.jpg

HorrobinsShopSankeyStreet.jpg

WHAT!? HOROBIN IS DEAD!? Man, the last time I past that shop the door was opened and I saw him climbing over a mountain of old newspapers and magazines. I don't think he ever returned or binned any unsolds. He must have lost a fortune on them and I don't know how he managed to keep afloat for so long or why the health and safety didn't have him for the state of his shop.

I remember us going in there a lot in our teens on the way back from the Saturday guitar club at the YMCA. A chap called Rob Savva ran that if I remember rightly.

I always remember Horobin's as it was total chaos and a bit creepy in a way with a really odd smell (a combination of old + damp + dust + rot).

Nice chap though and like already said if you had missed a magazine from weeks or even months back it would be found somewhere amongst all the piles.

I never understood how it stayed open for so many years though considering the state it was in. Rotten on the outside and even worse inside but I guess he either owned the building or no-one dared say anything.

Would be interesting to know what they did eventually find in there when he died and whoe many years back some of the 'stock' went. I guess they probably just got thrown away or burnt though during the clear out.

He must have been doing something right though as it's the only newsagents I remember from that far back and I guess most other locals will remember it too.

I have lived in warrington all my life (58 years),it's amazing how many places you forget about in the town until a photograph clicks some memories in the back of your mind.Had forgotten about horobins until I saw this photo,always went passed was to spooky to go into it

I knew Albert Horobin well and had a number of magazines on regular order from him for many years. The incredible thing about him was that he did not (so far as I know) stock any "Top Shelf" magazines. If he did, he kept them well hidden.

He also did not have a telephone on the premises. When he wanted to make a call he would lock the shop and go to the nearest public phone box.