Big Butterfly Count - WNCF Competition?

Geoffrey Settle

Join David Attenborough in the fight to save the nation's butterflies: spare 15 minutes to take part in the Big Butterfly Count:

http://www.bigbutterflycount.org/

This is very important as the more we know what is happening to the Butterfly in this Town that more we know what is happening to nature.

Last year I found that Rixton Moss Clay Pits was one of the best places to visit when I did my recordings last year

I found a comma, peacocks, common blue, red admirals, meadow brown, gatekeeper, large white, small white BUT there are so many other nature reserves in Warrington and places like parks, sankey valley or simply in your Garden.

http://www.visitchester.com/site/things-to-do/rixton-claypits-local-nature-reserve-p33081#productlist=/site/things-to-do/rixton-claypits-local-nature-reserve-p33081&proxprodtype=attr

If you think it a good idea :idea: I will ask the Warrington Conservation Forum http://www.warrington.gov.uk/home/leisure_and_culture/parks_and_green_spaces/wncf/ to organise a competition for Warrington school children where the best drawing of a butterfly accompanied by a 'big butterfly count' recording sheet (that you can down load from http://www.bigbutterflycount.org/) will constitute the entry.

I will key the results from the sheets into RECORD http://www.record-lrc.co.uk/ Cheshire's Local Biological Records Centre serving Cheshire, Halton, Warrington and Wirral - 'The Cheshire Region'.

Have a great family day out, take a picnic and see who can record the most in 15 minutes but no cheating. You can do several 15 minute slots and have as many entries as you want David and ourselves need the data to see what's happening out there. :D Adults can take part in the recording but not the competition, although may be in the future we could organise a photograhic competition for them/

You read it first on Warrington Worldwide :mrgreen:

Now that you have brought up I had to have a good hard think and can honestly say that I cannot remember seeing any butterfly's around this year so far.

Whether on sankey valley walking the dog or in my father in law's garden whilst mowing and weeding.

Odd as I usually see quite a few.

Nearest thing I have seen recently to a butterfly was a huge moth in my mothers house. About an inch and a half long and as wide at the widest point off it's wings. :shock:

Good idea Geoff, good luck and I hope it takes off.

I spotted one small brown and two small whites yesterday, but they were in the Middlewich area.

On one of my walkabouts yesterday, I crossed some meadowland that has a good variety of wildflowers. Amongst them were these Orchids (meadow or early marsh orchid). Sorry the photo is not too good.

Orchid.jpg

The one thing that I have allways noticed in the Warrington area is that you only have to go a short distance out of Warrington, to see a greater variety of wildlife, butterfflies, and wildflowers. In the Warrington area these things are a lot more scarce. I have allways put it down to the heavy use of pesticides by farmers and councils, sewing wildflower seeds on grass verges and roundabouts would help to attract butterflies, and it would cut down on the maintenance, so in the long run it would be a cost effective excercise.

I planted my own garden many years ago to attract butterflies etc, I have a large well established honeysuckle shrub, and two Budlias amongst the many plants that are in flower at this time. But sadly no Butterflies. I think Warrington will at the bottom of the list when the final count is done. But it is never too late to correct it.

We all have a part to play in this. There is a book on creating a wildlife garden, and attracting butterflies and wildlife by Prof Chris Baynes, who was also partly responsible for landscaping the Sankey Valley park area. My mate Grubby Pants who is an ecologist was at Uni with him. :wink:

Surely there should be one butterfly in this section of jungle? but no, nothing.

garden.jpg

I think it's a great idea too Geoff.... :D

I did actually see a white butterfly near the flowers in by back yard yesterday and I've not seen any in the garden for a long time. It had gone by the time I grabbed my camera.

Now you have mentioned it though I rarely see butterflies anywhere these days and there used to be loads... I shall look out for them from now.

It doesn't matter BazJ that is factored in - we just want you to count what you see in fifteen minutes. Ok people could argue about the statistical significance etc but spotting them is the main thing.

As for spotting them - YES - it has been a very strange :( - I too haven't seen many where ever I have been and I've been concerned hence the reason for the count.

I spent a week in St Ives a few week ago and saw one - I was even more concerened NO BUTTERFLIES down there even on sunny days - I think it was on the last day or so of my holiday that I spotted some.

WHAT is going on - fortunately they are at last out and about abd you will also see them at WIGG ISLAND near RUNCORN - the visitor centre there is great and that is where I have my training by a great guy last year and we saw loads of different ones.

As for ORCHIDS - I spotted them on the JOHN PARR meadows last summer not many there BUT 100,000 of thousands in a small group of fields in the North of the Isel of Man. There are fields that are looked after by the Manx Trust they only last a couple of week but there are seven different types - fantastic. And when I was downn at Lands End I only spotted ONE all on its todd. If I can find the pitiure I will post it for you but not to you :rolleyes::)

I saw a brown butterfly with a bit or orange on it yesterday in my garden too :shock:

I think it was a butterfly anyway.. although it could have been a big moth. Do some moths look like butterflies and do they come out in the day time :oops:

I didn't see it at first and it flew from my connifer very quickly as I started to hose it down so I only got a quick look at it as it went off in a panic. Ooops.

Geoff.... how can you possibly "factor in" something like the number of people who may or may not see and count the same butterfly?

You might as well just say "There are 26,988 butterflies in Warrington...... just a guess, but statistically as acurate as "factoring in" surely?

Awww doint spoil it Baz.

Thanks to Geoff I've now seen a few having not seen any for a long time (although that's probably because I've started looking).

Like someone said to me only the other day 'your opportunities in life are always there right there in front of you.. it's just that you rarely notice them'.

Well I'm seeing butterflies now so what's next :D:D

What on earth is a 'fnaarr fnaarr' moment ? I still don't see what all the fuss is about as my connifers looks lovely now and I'm sure they are a lot happier than when they were all hot and bothered and covered in cobwebs and dust.

I did my ivy too :P

So has anyone seen any butterflies today as we seem to be going off track slightly (thanks to me) sorry Geoff :oops:

Geoff.... how can you possibly "factor in" something like the number of people who may or may not see and count the same butterfly?

You might as well just say "There are 26,988 butterflies in Warrington...... just a guess, but statistically as acurate as "factoring in" surely?

Yeh yeh ok not totally scientific BUT it's the year on year trends that are being looked at - gieven there is a sort of consisitence each year the errors may be les of an issue.

The BIG problem at the moment is the TOTAL lack of sunshine B) fingers crossed it will come out to play and warm us all up including the butterflies. :huh:

Wonder if it was attracted by the sugar or the colour ?

I bet it's little wings are all sticky and damaged now. Maybe it can't fly now and it's stuck :shock:

Nicer than flies or ants landing in your jam jar I suppose though :wink: