Removed to prevent copyright infringement

algy

In the 1901 census, my Grandad was 17 and was listed as an apprectice sheet glass worker..... His mum was a fustion cutter and they lived in Bostock Street ...wherever that was (is)

There's a Bostock Street near the Hospital (off Lovely Lane) don't know if that is the same one though.

Algy in you vast collection of photos do you happen to have any of any of the following roads

Tilly Street.... around 1911 or later. The road is still there today but everything has gone, it's the little road near Enterprise Car Hire and Commet near Cockhedge. Quite a few of my ancestors lived there.

Knutsford Road (Latchford/Grappenhall (near 28)) 1851 or later

Jockey Street (Warrington Orford Ward) 1851 or later

cnat remember the others

Maybe they new no different though PJ and were 'sort of' happy in their own way :wink: No wishing for 50 inch plasma TV's or the latest BMW car or bling and designer clothing.

But then again maybe they had their own wish lists based on the richer folk of their times eh.

And so life will go on... and on... I guess. But yes we are lucky but are we happier and do we now have more worries :wink:

In the 1901 census, my Grandad was 17 and was listed as an apprectice sheet glass worker..... His mum was a fustion cutter and they lived in Bostock Street ...wherever that was (is)

There's a Bostock Street near the Hospital (off Lovely Lane) don't know if that is the same one though.

Algy in you vast collection of photos do you happen to have any of any of the following roads

Tilly Street.... around 1911 or later. The road is still there today but everything has gone, it's the little road near Enterprise Car Hire and Commet near Cockhedge. Quite a few of my ancestors lived there.

Knutsford Road (Latchford/Grappenhall (near 28)) 1851 or later

Jockey Street (Warrington Orford Ward) 1851 or later

cnat remember the others

Dizz, Sorry i have nothing on Tilley Street or Jockey Street and Knutsford Road/Grappenhall I shall look for tomorrow.

Times have changed PJ and while they worried about feeding their kids (which I'm sure they mostly managed) we now worry about them being overfed.

How may of us would let our toddlers play out on their own in the streets these days at such a young age... we wouldn't and why not?

I'm sure they cared just as much as we do and also worried just as much as we do but maybe in a different way. Guess we will never know.

In the last photo the little girl second from the end on the right is leaning on a crutch, her legs are so thin they don't look strong enough to support her, probably suffering from Rickets, a disorder caused by a lack of vitamin D, calcium, or phosphate. It leads to softening and weakening of the bones resulting in fractures.

Yes, Dizz they did have back yards that had outside kharzis in them that stank with swarms of disease carrying flies on hot summer days, no fridges to protect your food, or to keep ice cream, lolly ices or fruit cordial that todays children take for granted, and don't get me wrong when I say this, most people that are in their seventies that were brought up in victorian two up two down terraced houses remember those days, it was 1948 before we had a water flush toilet in our outside loo, but I would not have swapped my childhood days with the kids of today because we had so much more freedom than they have.

I remember going to my grans house which was 115 Fox Street...... it was the house on the corner directly over the road from the old Bennets cake factory.

In his early days my dad was bakery foreman there and must have had the shortest journey to work ever!!

Grans house had no hot water at all. No heating apart from a coal/log fire in the front room and had an outside loo.... She was a resiliant old lady and was well into her 90's, living on her own up to a year before she finally passed away!