Spectcular Tidal BORE this SUNDAY on the River Mersey

Geoffrey Settle

Our friends at Moore Nature Reserve are publicising a 3 mile walk this SUNDAY which coincides with ? High Tide on the River Mersey at Upper Moss Side - better know as the famous Mersey Tidal bore :D

They write

The hide at Upper Moss Side gives great views of this spectacular event. Join us to watch as a variety of wildlife reacts to the sudden rise in the level of the River Mersey.

Web page:

- see more events http://www.wrg.co.uk/page.php?article=758&name=Moore+events

Contact Paul Cassidy on 01925 444689 for further details about this and other events.

Helen Lacy Secretary of the Warrington Nature Conservation Forum adds:

Dear all

This Sunday morning there is an expected tidal bore on the Mersey, if you haven't seen it before its worth going to either Gatewarth phase 3 in Penketh (access of the TPT) or sit by the Ferry Inn Pub or on the south side at upper moss side farm (the hide will be v busy) to catch this spectacular event. I've only seen it once by chance and it was fab- depends on conditions of course. At upper moss side you can usually see loads of small mammals running in off the marsh for cover plus the associated raptors and other estuary bird life.

The rangers at Moore Nature Reserve are leading a walk- meeting at lapwing lane 11am.

See you there with your surf board or may be just a pint in your hand at the Ferry. :wink: [/url]

Helen tells me this Sunday morning around 11am best catching it at either Gatewarth phase 3 in Penketh (access of the TPT) or sit by the Ferry Inn Pub or on the south side at upper moss side farm (the hide will be v busy) to catch this spectacular event.

My camera battery is caput, Mrs J has lost her charger so I'll have to beg one :oops: from somewhere else or use the old pin hole camera technique :wink: .

th_PotholeIMG00008-20110217-1709.jpg I took this with my Blackberry for a local resident on Thursday. Hopefully it will be fixed fast but as you can see the quality is not very good and it doesn't show how bad the pot hole is outside their house. :twisted: I need something better for the bore.

However for reporting issues quickly the blackberry is great in so many ways. You just point and click select email and away it goes.

Yes but that's on the River Severn not on the Mersey.

True it is bigger and here's why

Here is something a bit different - a large "five star" tidal bore on the river Severn in Gloucesetershire, UK, caused by a large spring tide and the funneling effect of the Severn Estuary causing a large wave to surge up the river against the flow. There was a carnival atmosphere with hundreds of spectators watching and surfers risking life and limb to ride the bore ! News organisations also covered the event extensively here. This is all down to our Moon of course so I hope it qualifies as space weather !

Ok it wasn't spectacular but certainly worth the wait in the freezing cold and I've ticked off another of the 8 wonders of the world occuring in Warrington :lol:

Photo poor but hopefully you get the idea.

Approaching me as it came around the bend by the Ferry Tavern

IMG00016-20110220-11471.jpg

IMG00017-20110220-11471.jpg

IMG00019-20110220-11481.jpg

and up river it goes passed Gatewarth towards Warrington

IMG00020-20110220-11481.jpg