Knutsford Rd (Latchford) Swing Bridge.

algy

I had occasion to walk over the Latchford swing bridge yesterday, the traffic was literally bouncing over the lip of the edge of the road caused by the bridge not being jacked up to its correct position parallel with the road, I would say the discrepancy was 2" to 3" this is going to result in damage to both vehicle suspension, tyres and wheel rims, also it goes without saying that the bridge pavement suffered from the same problem causing a potential tripping problem, yet another example by Peel Holdings neglecting the maintenance of bridge operating equipment.

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

The same applies at the chester road swing bridge as well but not quite as pronounced as the one in the picture.

there is also quite a hump at bridge foot as well as you head into town across the bridge. it looks as though the road has sunk or maybe it is a sneaky speed bump to slow traffic that has raced across the lights to see who can get the best position for the corners. 8)

Gosh that doesn't look good Algy. Wouldn't like to be riding a bike over there. Are both ends as low or has it tipped slightly :shock:

They dud have problems with the Knutsford Road swing bridge last week and it got stuck open. Wonder if that has anything to do with the fact it that it is like this now?

Maybe when Peels repair it then can fix the potholes on it too :wink:

They jack the road up after the road is swung into the open position.

Eh :? I really don't understand that. Do you mean they jack the bit of road up which is ON the swing bridge when it is in the open position ? (ie they jack the bridge up)

The road is as shown in the picture when it is brought back into the "open" position for traffic. Using hydraulic water pressure it is jacked up to make it level with the road on either side. Have a look next time a boat comes through.

Dizz, this might give some clarity to the subject although there is no real detail, interesting to know there is a service tunnel running under the canal by the bridge and rising by twenty steps Lock (as was). Might be worth having a look to see if the entrance is still visible?

001-4.jpg

Credit to Ron Phillips of Grappenhall for the illustration from his book - STOCKTON HEATH - BY TRAM!

That's a good diagram.I wonder if they all have a tunnel?

The only reason I knew, was that a mate worked on the Moore bridge and one Sunday I visted him at work, and got the grand tour and actually operated the opening and closing of the bridge.

I would imagine it is jacked up to avoid wear in one spot on the turning part.

Thanks Algy... interesting diagram.

I knw about the tunnel there and I think there is one under Stockton Heath Swing Bridge too with the access point being on the canal bank on the Ellesmere Road Side.

I've seen men going down it in harnesses on quite a few occasions. I presume that one may have held the old tram supply lines for Stockton Heath too although I think there must be more recent day things passing through it too as when they were doing the new water supply pipes round here the chaps were going down there then.

Interesting, I will have to find out now :lol: