Keeping abreast of the science?

observer

We've got "the experts" argueing now over breast feeding. Surely suckling a baby is what nature intended and mammals do? These so-called "experts" are getting on my tits. :roll:

I agree obs but apart from man other species of mammals are not preoccupied with their females mammaries. :wink:

Right... Obs you have only told half a tale :wink:

They are actually saying now that babies should NOT be SOLELY breastfed for the first 6 months as previously recommended....

"Experts" now believe that solids should be introduced from 4 months in addition to breast milk as some studies have shown that BM does not give babies all the nutrition they need.

Another study has found that babies exclusively breastfed for six months were more likely to develop anaemia than those introduced to solids at four to six months, and researchers in Sweden found that the incidence of early onset coeliac disease increased after a recommendation to delay introduction of gluten until six months old.

The way I see it is that 'experts' come and go.... guidelines, recomendation and research change every few years... so we might as well all just do what we feel is best or want to do as sooner or later someone will say it is right :wink::D:roll:

"Experts" now believe that solids should be introduced from 4 months in addition to breast milk as some studies have shown that BM does not give babies all the nutrition they need.

What a load of ........

So what they are saying is that nature/God has got it wrong and that the design of the human is flawed?

What a load of ........

So what they are saying is that nature/God has got it wrong and that the design of the human is flawed?

I don't think they are saying that at all Peter... I think they are saying that between 4 and 6 months of age babies should start to have other foods introduced aswell. Nothing like fish and chips of course but baby 'food' not just mothers liquid milk.

No-one bats an eyelid when babies on formula milk get both so why not those on breast milk too :wink:

Agreed Peter! If the mother is healthy, the baby will be - if she isn't then maybe go see a doctor, otherwise get on with the daily living and leave the damn "experts" out of it! Man, I tell ya, I get sick of all the fuss! :roll:

How does anyone tell what actualy quality of milk a breast fed baby is getting :? Surely all milk is different depending on what the mum eats. Anyway that was just another thought that occurred to me.

I do agree thought ..."experts" should just shut up and stop changing the boundaries all the time.

It's madness and all their advice just makes it harder for new parents to know what is 'right' and what is 'wrong'.

Latest expert advice says that if you are bottle feeding your baby you MUST NOT make bottles up in advance... each one must be made with boiling water the moment your baby needs it then left to cool as it screams... :roll:

Is this a plot to make more new mothers breast feed for added 'convenience'.

We used to make 5 at a time and store them in the fridge as per the 'recomendations' :roll:

I'm not knocking breast feeding by the way... as I reaslise it has it's health benefits to both the baby and the mum :wink:

Erm.... is that good or bad Algy :lol:

Just had a thought as my dog had a burst of energy.

She was only mummy fed for upto about 6 weeks... then she was found abandoned and probably ate scraps off the streets... we got her at 8 weeks.

She has two meals of man made dog food a day...still eats any scraps or rotten food she can find on walkies.. has fresh water on tap but still prefers rain water out of dirty buckets with little 'things' living in it...... sleeps in a cage or wherever she fancies and is VERY fit and healthy and never ill.

How long will it be before "experts" advise that a 'dogs lifestyle' is best and that we should all bring our kids up in the same way (apart from abandoning them of course) :lol:

A healthy mother on a healthy diet, should be able to pass on all vitamin requirements to her baby through her milk, likewise toxins too, such as nicotine or alcohol. btw Diz, you only passed on half of the other half of the story: it appears that some of this "research" was funded by the baby food manufacturers, which basically says it all. :roll:

btw Diz, you only passed on half of the other half of the story: it appears that some of this "research" was funded by the baby food manufacturers, which basically says it all. :roll:

My appologies Obs as that wasn't mentioned in the article I read :wink:

On the other hand though you don't have to feed babies processed 'baby food' at 4-6 months.... what's wrong with freshly prepared mummy mushy veg and the like :wink:

Going through these posts, it shows what a mess we are in when advice is needed on the most natural thing known to humans.

By encouraging the disfunctional world of single parents etc, the skills of yesteryear seem to have been lost. Advice always used to be from people with experience. ie parents and grandparents.

How did we manage before these baby foods came along? As Dizzy says, mashed grown-up food whilst being weaned off the breast. Sorted!!!