The Ashes

DS

The England cricket team has retained the Ashes and, as I write, is poised to win them outright. Yet not a word on this forum.

Do we only come to life when we can whinge about our sports teams losing?

Come on, when we stuff the Aussies at anything surely it is worth shouting about!

In view of past England positive positions beign wiped out, I was holding my views until tommorrow morning.

I must admit i dont like the idea of drawing something allows you to keep it i.e. before the sydney test being 2-1 up. However IF the current state of play continues and we get at least a draw, it will be a well deserved outcome winning back to back ashes, although the Aussies run was going to end one day.

It couldn't have happened to a more miserable bunch of convicts, however my pleasure will always be tempered by watching an England team that could in my lifetime not include a single Englishman.

It isn't far off now from the accents I hear on the TV and radio

Don?t know what all the fuss is about, it?s not as if they have played in a tournament of 32 teams to reach a final. They are always playing against the same team for the Ashes, so have a fifty/fifty chance of winning it. Not what you call exciting.

Why comment on something you know absolutely sod all about.

Apparently it's called free speech

It is also totally ignorant to people who love the whole concept of this regular series that is one of the highlights of any sporting calendar.

It would also be free speech if I denigrated knitting and embroidery, I don't because I respect those that do them with a passion.

I would sum it up as pettiness and disdain in a thread you could have steered clear of. I don't post very often these days, do me the courtesy of keeping the subjects I do post on free from your garbage.

I would sum it up as pettiness and disdain in a thread you could have steered clear of. I don't post very often these days, do me the courtesy of keeping the subjects I do post on free from your garbage.

You could have ignored my post instead of being impolite, I am entitled to my opinion and will keep on posting, it's called having an opinion, like it or not :roll:

The England cricket team has retained the Ashes and, as I write, is poised to win them outright. Yet not a word on this forum.

Come on, when we stuff the Aussies at anything surely it is worth shouting about!

Dave not sure if your point has been proven or not?

Anyway, first time in 24 years great result.

I spoke to my wife's rellies in Perth an hour ago they celebrated in style - apparently their aussie friends and neighbours have taken it well, they had no option :lol:

I don't suppose there were any Warrington lads in the team were there :?:

Just the opposite for Poo fans, it's been remarkably quiet on here for about 12 months while Poo have been losing, no doubt they will come to life if they beat United at the weekend. :roll::roll::wink:

Eagle, my old friend. While I don't disagree with you about non-English players in the England team, I must point out that this is nothing new. We had the Indian K.S. Ranjitsinhji playing for England between 1896 and 1902.

I find it far more objectionable to have non-English players in our domestic cricket, soccer and Rugby League teams. At least the Test cricketers have to observe a qualification period.

Eagle, my old friend. While I don't disagree with you about non-English players in the England team, I must point out that this is nothing new. We had the Indian K.S. Ranjitsinhji playing for England between 1896 and 1902.

I find it far more objectionable to have non-English players in our domestic cricket, soccer and Rugby League teams. At least the Test cricketers have to observe a qualification period.

David, you have me at a disadvantage. I am not old enough to have seen Ranji play.

• 4 weeks later...

Not quite Baz, there are different "types" of cricket played on this tour; the Ashes tests and warm up matches, the stupid 20/20 thrashes and the series of One Day matches. The England team is different for each type.

The Ashes were won and the One Dayers were lost and the World Cup is startling shortly.

The players who have been there from the start are knackered and riddled with injury. Far to many games and too much travelling.

I am not convinced that Baz is as ignorant on these matters as he cracks up. But just in case he is: Test cricket is the highest form of the sport. A match takes five days, if it goes the full length. The Ashes is played between England and Australia only and is probably the oldest international sporting contest in the world.

The One Day cricket and Twenty20 contests to which Owd Beaky refers are shortened versions of the game, mainly introduced as Observer rightly says, to make money and boost viewing figures.

They are not worthy of discussion by REAL cricket enthusiasts.

That is why the World Cup starting shortly will go largely ignored by the world (unlike its soccer equivalent) because it consists only of one day games. In other words, its not REAL cricket.

One day cricket is OK for the likes of Eagle and I to play on the village green, provided it retains one element of the real game that is missing from the World Cup and other professional one dayers - the possibility of a draw.

The draw has been removed from the World Cup and professional one day cricket because it is perceived as being boring. But in fact drawn games provide many more exciting finishes than games won or lost.

I appreciate that there are people on here who will regard all forms of cricket as boring but I can only feel pity for them because they know not what they missing.

The America's Cup is the oldest active trophy in international sport.

As for cricket, if the one day matches, evening matches and 20/20 hadn't been introduced then 'real' cricket would have died long ago IMO.

The greatest attendances for cricket are all at the shortened versions of the sport.