Bailifs shut WBC office today

Dizzy

Bit odd though that the bailiffs have closed it and the locks have been changed though.

Usual course of action is :

1 polite reminder for payment

2 not so polite reminder

then over to debt collectors with

3 polite request for payment

4 not so polite request for payment

then if you STILL dont pay.. over to Bailiffs

5 polite(ish) request for full payment immediately

6 possible few days grace whilst you get the money

7 then they take away your goods/close your premises

The council must never open their post or answer their phones :D

Get in the real world, Tony. The council is a blue chip customer, not some fly-by-night likely to disappear.

I'm still not convinced we are talking about just a late rent issue. We shall see.

However, I am not sure that I agree with the council opening a facility like this in a rented building. I would much sooner have seen it in one owned by the council.

Re Peter Hain comment. :D:D:D

Guess when it all comes out in the wash, what has happened will probably be something to do with an arguement with the landlord over some other matter, and the landlord is making a highly visible point. Hope the Council Taxpayer won't be out of pocket. :wink:

Anyway hope the Chief Exec has been onto this one sharpish. Must admit in my limited dealings with the call centre I've been impressed.

Originally posted by observer:

Methinks the landlord is playing games?! :D:D

About time WBC received a dose of their own medicine :D

Bet there are a lot of people with very big grins on their faces in Warrington today....

:biggrinbounce:

Originally posted by Egbert:

Get in the real world, Tony. The council is a blue chip customer, not some fly-by-night likely to disappear.

Wish some of them would do just that :D:wink:

Anyway blue chip or no blue chip customer what's the difference?

The council should be treated just the same as everyone else is when it comes to unpaid debts... but then again they are in debt more that a lot of normal people... so perhaps the landlord is just worried that he wont get his money :wink:

No, I'm not a council lover and, I trust, not an idiot either.

But if I were, it would be better than being a council bashing idiot who bashes without being in full possession of the facts!

Anyway Egbert....... (now that my sense of humour has gone to sleep) I think you'll find that the facts were that the bailiffs were called, changed the locks, notices were put up, workers had to go elswhere for a time and the council office was closed ...

So by discussing these facts I guess that means we are not all idiots after all... blah blah blah

As for 'council bashing idiots' :wink:

About time WBC received a dose of their own medicine

Bet there are a lot of people with very big grins on their faces in Warrington today....

Which will promptly get wiped off when the Poll Tax goes up to pay for the Bailiff's fees!

The council will never be out of pocket, while were here to pay for their foibles and follies!

OK Dismayed. But how do I, as an ordinary member of this forum, KNOW that what is being put forward as FACT, is in fact, FACT?

I find it difficult to believe that there isn't more to this than meets the eye.

I can quite believe that the council, like any other large organisations, might be a little tardy in paying its bills and that due to some human error in some department, this particular rental payment might be delayed.

What I find it difficult to believe is that the landlord, whoever it is, would take the action described (change the locks, etc) without going through a lengthy procedure first. If such a procedure WAS gone through, I find it incredible that the council didn't cough up.

You may be in a position to know the FACTS. I am not. And I certainly would be reluctant to accept them as FACTS on the basis of anything I read on here!

OK Dismayed. But how do I, as an ordinary member of this forum, KNOW that what is being put forward as FACT, is in fact, FACT?

True in a way... although you can't dispute the FACT that the office was closed, notices put up, locks changed and the Bailifs were called in :D

You could ask Gary and the reporters from other papers who also reported it :wink:

I find it difficult to believe that there isn't more to this than meets the eye.

I'm sure there may be after all the council did say it was a 'misunderstanding' :wink:

And I certainly would be reluctant to accept them as FACTS on the basis of anything I read on here!

I'll leave that one for Gary to answer :o

When I say I would be reluctant to accept stuff "on here" as facts, I mean The Forum, not the site as a whole. The Forum is a medium for opinion, rather than fact.

On its news pages, WWW somewhat guardedly said it was "understood" bailiffs had been called in.

Later it attributed its reports to a Town Hall "insider".

As I see it, only one FACT has been established. The contact centre was closed. I know nothing about bailiffs, locks being changed, etc. The council has admitted a "misunderstanding", which might mean anything.

All I know is that if I was a landlord (and I have been one!) and I had a tenant like a local authority, I would not be calling in bailiffs until things had reached a pretty sorry state of affairs. Indeed, given the short time the council has been in the premises, I don't think I would have called them in yet.

Unless, as I say, there is more in this than meets the eye.

I would also like to repeat something I said earlier: I would prefer to see the contact centre in a building owned by the council, not one rented. In fact, I think the council should own ALL its buildings.

[ 20.01.2008, 17:50: Message edited by: Egbert ]