NHS cutting cloth?

observer

Presumably this is offered on prescription for those with mental health problems, just as any medication is. If you go to the doctor for help with a problem either physical or mental, why should he/she not be able to offer something like this? Just because it isn't a pill or an ointment doesn't mean it isn't valid and as I said before, it could be cheaper in the long run.

This has nothing to do with whether the world owes us a living or not, that is a different subject altogether.

I must be thick because I didn?t understand the logic of what they were saying last night.

If someone needs a hip replacement but the surgeons say they have done their quota for the year, what are they going to be doing for the rest of the year? :roll:

The way I see it is that hip replacements to reduce suffering shouldn?t be subjected to the same economic rules governing the supply of a commodity that?s in short supply. If people are suffering and there is the capacity for the operation then it should be done as soon as possible rather than prolong the suffering to make the numbers right.

Bill :)

Presumably this is offered on prescription for those with mental health problems, just as any medication is. If you go to the doctor for help with a problem either physical or mental, why should he/she not be able to offer something like this? Just because it isn't a pill or an ointment doesn't mean it isn't valid and as I said before, it could be cheaper in the long run.

This has nothing to do with whether the world owes us a living or not, that is a different subject altogether.

I'm depressed because I've been too busy working and paying taxes all year to take a holiday, do you think the GP would prescribe me a fortnight in Greece?

I think I'll have to join you on the 'thick' bench too Bill re: hip surgery etc as it didn't make much sense to me either.

The person interivewed last night who's was in charge of a hospital which had spent far more of it's quota than it should have done in the first 1/2 of the year mainly because 'demand was high' did say some hip replacements (for example) would still be carried out but only when severe and constant pain which was no longer bearable was an issue... :shock:

How many years would a sufferer have to go through various levels of pain until that stage was reached and what quality of life would they have while they waited to be classed as being in exceptional pain ?

Like you also say Bill...... if certain hospitals aren't carrying out certain types of surgery due to lack of funds then what are the surgeons doing who have expertise in these now 'cut' procedures.

I presume they will be working freelance at private hospitals or for ones with funding still available :?:shock::roll:

The 'free' NHS is becoming a post code lottery I guess :?

PS..... just out of interest to doctors surgeries receive additional funding based on the number of doctors appointments they make etc :evil::roll:

I'm depressed because I've been too busy working and paying taxes all year to take a holiday, do you think the GP would prescribe me a fortnight in Greece?

No but I'm sure if you ask nicely he will sign you off for a week or two :lol:

I presume you are a bit miffed about windsurfing lessons for depressed youngsters (as Obs put it) ?

Well if it works then that's great and far better than putting youngsters on anti depressants that's for sure :shock:

Not nice things those things .. so anything that works as an alternative is good in my book.

I think its a great idea and if it lifts their spirits, builds their confidence and gives them more self esteem and gets them on the road to recovery without the need for medication etc then ?5000 to run a 6 week course for 20 youngsters with professional surfers is a small price to pay :D:wink:

Yep it?s totally bonkers. If say100 people every year need a hip replacement then whichever way you work it they?re going to have to do 100 operations a year come what may. It?s certainly not the case that if they fix everybody sooner then more will want the same.

It?s a bit like going to the doctors on Monday and being told you can have an appointment on Wednesday. If there?s always a three day wait then there?s something wrong with the system because the doctor will still see the same number of patients each week whether he sees them straight away or makes them wait.

Three day wait would be good at mine Bill. :lol:

No bookings usually available as they tend to be booked up two weeks in advance even when you are told by 'the' doctor to come back in a week :?

Even if you are patient (excuse the pun) you then can't book in advance for after the two weeks because of the 'system'... so when you ring back nearer the time all apointments have once again been taken ... :shock: How's that then :shock:

You can of course get emergency or a 48 hour 'access' appointement (whatever that is) if you are lucky but you never see the same doctor as you've seen before and sometimes it's just a locum so they dont seem to count as they can't enter details on your records :roll:

Never have a problem making an appointments at the vet's though :lol:

I sometimes wonder if making people wait is some kind of cynical attempt to make them seem more important and in demand. If there was a genuine backlog then all they?d have to do was put in a bit of overtime and the issue would go away but that?s too obvious.