The power of music?

observer

Or specifically the bag-pipes - listening to "Spirit of the Glen" I got to thinking about pipers in battle, and how their presence could inspire heroics. EG, The pipers in WW1 who were first over the top and playing. WW2 pipers advancing through the minefields at Alamein or Lord Lovatt odering his piper to play "Black Bear" as they marched off the D-Day beaches to link up with the Paras at Pegasus Bridge - phenomenal. :?

The bag pipes have an eerie sound about them.

Probably inspirational to the side they were on but I would imagine that hearing their sounds advancing towards you the darkness of battle was rather scarey if you were on the other side.

Sort of a subliminal message maybe :shock::wink:

On the other hand if the pipers were first over the top they'd hardly be inconspicuous and probably wouldn't last very long in the firing line :cry:

Well I never knew that...so that's something else I've learned thanks to you and this forum :D:wink:

Interesting...... although it's apparently an 'informal' ban :?:?:

Dread to think what they'd do and how they would react if you went against a formal ban though :shock:

I believe Dizzy is right. One of the early uses for the bagpipes was to strike terror into the heart of your opponents - particularly when they were primitive tribesmen, etc, resisting the red-coated might of the British.

Those were the days!

Mind you, I suppose we could do the same today by sending some heavy metal band into battle!

I believe Dizzy is right. One of the early uses for the bagpipes was to strike terror into the heart of your opponents - particularly when they were primitive tribesmen, etc, resisting the red-coated might of the British.

Those were the days!

Mind you, I suppose we could do the same today by sending some heavy metal band into battle!

...or some naff boy band (take that / boy zone / jls) that'l scare the c**p out of 'em, see them run then! :wink:

I think I may have 'Misunderstood' you.

'Any Other Day' it would not seem so 'Complicated' but 'I am' getting 'Once Step Closer' to 'The Answer' ... is Stereophonics it something I can change on my Windows Media Player or my sound card :lol::P Boring myself now so I will stop :lol:

Thanks for the links... sang along and annoyed the other half.

Never knew the Steriopbods sang those as although I've heard the glad rags song a million times I've only ever heard it on radio and never put the song and artist name together :oops:

Just downloaded them to my ipod and about to search for more of their music. The blokes got a great voice but still not as dishy as 'you know who' :wink::lol: