More lunacy

asperity

Gordon the Moron has decided that 24 hour drinking is wrong, so it's now being restricted to 21 hours. Pubs and drinking establishments can't open between 3am and 6am. Does anybody know anywhere that was open between those hours anyway?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1248654/24-hour-drinking-cut--21-hours-Law-shut-bars-applies-just-hours.html :?:?:?

Think we had a long running topic on here, when they decided to introduce unrestricted opening hours - and everything opponents said at the time, has come to pass - problem is, saying I told you so doesn't solve the problem. :cry::roll:

No, but it does highlight the fact that common sense and the people should be listened to before they try to invent the wheel.

So Wolfie, you wern't aware they were "neanderthals" BEFORE the law was changed? Our "culture" of mindless binge drinking has been here for centuries, hence Lloyd George bringing in the restrictions during WW1 to ensure factory workers turned up for work and didn't cause accidents in the workplace, in the first place. Sadly, our footy fans have now exported "the culture" to Europe, where they are now experiencing "the British problem" in places like Rome. Incompetant liberals like Brown and Co, sadly see the world as they want it to be and react accordingly, rather than recognising the world for what it is. :twisted:

Nothing Peter :wink:

The trouble would come from what people consider sensible, a lot of other Countries seem to manage just fine, I agree we do have a problem over here. But should we let the actions of a few spoil it for the majority than can go out for a night out and not course any mayhem.

It doesn't stop the majority having a good night out. I would suggest that the majority would not want or even need to be drinking after midnight unless it was at home.

Wasn't the logic behind 24 hour drinking, that the ale heads would stagger home at staggered times so as not to make life difficult for the police?

That would depend on what age group you asked Peter, if you asked the over 90's they might say 7.30 was a great time to stop, I am in my 40's when I was younger and single I used to like to stop out. I like the majority didn't course any bother.

Why should the majority of people have their choice spoiled because of a few :?:

It doesn't stop the majority having a good night out. I would suggest that the majority would not want or even need to be drinking after midnight unless it was at home.

I don't have any figures at hand, but as most pubs and clubs rely on the under 25s for the majority of their trade, and they tend to party till they are thrown out, so I'd guess you were worng there.

Our "culture" of mindless binge drinking has been here for centuries,

:shock: According to you in another thread a few months ago, binge drinking only began when the birch was abolished...... and you pointed to the huge increase in binge drinking on the IOM as proof. :?

The useful thing about 24hr opening was the removal of the deadline of 11pm, when everyone had stuck three fast pints down their necks as last orders and then got thrown out. Trouble always ensued.

The useful thing about 24hr opening was the removal of the deadline of 11pm, when everyone had stuck three fast pints down their necks as last orders and then got thrown out. Trouble always ensued.

So stopping another 4 hrs and 8 pints is better is it? Ask A and E!!!!

Fatshaft,

I thought the over 50s were the majority. And too encourage the young idiots to drink more and longer and then do untold damage when they leave is sensible in your opinion?

Being able to stay and drink at a steady rate is better than necking three pints in twenty minutes because you've paid for them, and having people leave at different times reduces the amount of fighting. Ask A&E.....

Obviously, not drinking to excess is the ideal solution - but we don't live in an ideal world. The objective is not to stop people drinking, but to stop them getting hurt and hurting other people. To that end, removing the pressure to "drink up" and the mass exodus of aggressive drunks into the streets at a set time seems quite sensible to me.

Being able to stay and drink at a steady rate is better than necking three pints in twenty minutes because you've paid for them, and having people leave at different times reduces the amount of fighting. Ask A&E.....

Obviously, not drinking to excess is the ideal solution - but we don't live in an ideal world. The objective is not to stop people drinking, but to stop them getting hurt and hurting other people. To that end, removing the pressure to "drink up" and the mass exodus of aggressive drunks into the streets at a set time seems quite sensible to me.

Only if it works.

Woh - LP: your at it again, attributing comments to me that I've never made. Still, suppose it makes arguement easier for you to invent what others have said, in order to score a point. :roll: If you find time to read history, you'll discover that Samuel Pepys mentioned the gin sodden poor in the streets of London - so the British penchant for boozing is well established, hence Lloyd George's sensible limitation. :roll:

Woh - LP: your at it again, attributing comments to me that I've never made. Still, suppose it makes arguement easier for you to invent what others have said, in order to score a point. :roll: If you find time to read history, you'll discover that Samuel Pepys mentioned the gin sodden poor in the streets of London - so the British penchant for boozing is well established, hence Lloyd George's sensible limitation. :roll:

Don't call me a liar. You stated that the Isle of Man had become a binge drinking capital since the abolition of the birch. I argued with you, because drinking to excess has been with us since the day someone discovered fermented fruit was fun. Human nature.