Freedom of Speech?

observer

I'm rather torn on this one, as I believe "free speech" is a paramount requirement in a democracy; however, freedom of assembly and marching on the public highway could, on the balance of risks, be dangerous for all concerned - perhaps the God of both sides, will intervene and snow them out?! :wink:

I'm not torn at all. This proposed march is disrespect for dead soldiers. If we prosecture people who wee on war memorials because they are a show of respect for the fallen, then I don't damn well see why anyone should be allowed to take the piss along the route where local people have chosen to make a show of respect for the newly fallen.

That said, precisely the best way to deal with such contentious provocation is to ignore it and let them march - without media or TV coverage, without a single person watching and without a single comment afterwards.

This nutter says 500 extremists will march with him carrying fake coffins. As his group has fewer than 50 members and their last proposed outing was cancelled due to lack of interest, I think it'll probably sort itself out in the end.

If we have 500 extremists in the UK then are they really going to line up in the street and identify themselves as such? Sort of buggers up any covert operations in the future, doesn't it? :?

Yes, I know, and the basic principles of Islam do include a strong active defence of the faith and community that lends to justifying a lot of things, but how can you be a sneaky secret bomber if you march down the road wearing a t shirt that says so? Being an extremist of any kind does not mean you're daft, so anyone serious of intent will stay well away from public demos where Police will be studying the video tape afterwards, won't they? :?

Well they were on TV News tonight, outside a courthouse; ranting on about us "leaving THEIR lands" - now these are the immigrants that your ilk are welcoming with open arms. :roll: Perhaps it's you who could do with a few weeks with them - could be the cure you need! :wink:

See. There you go again. Every Muslim is a madman, everyone who thinks Muslims should be allowed to live here is a feeble-minded liberal. But you're no racist! Shall we judge you a child murderer because Ian Brady was British? Shall we assume you would like to hack off Catholic heads because Henry VIII was an Englishman? No, because WE are intelligent human beings who don't go around the world spouting our own personal sterotypical prejudices. Frankly, you and your deportation obsession are just as objectionable to me as he is with his marches and fake coffins.

Assuming I was anti-Muslim; in which case, which "race" am I offending oh wise one? The Muslim religion has followers from every single race on the planet - or has that escaped your tiny mind?! :roll: Anyway back to the topic: seems freedom of speach in this Country is allowed, provided it it not "gratuitously insulting"; but freedom of association is no longer toleratated, with some groups being banned under the anti-terrorist laws, membership of a prescribed organisation being punishable with a ten year prison sentence - so I guess we're not as free as we thought! :shock:

Assuming I was anti-Muslim; in which case, which "race" am I offending oh wise one? The Muslim religion has followers from every single race on the planet - or has that escaped your tiny mind?! :roll: Anyway back to the topic: seems freedom of speach in this Country is allowed, provided it it not "gratuitously insulting"; but freedom of association is no longer toleratated, with some groups being banned under the anti-terrorist laws, membership of a prescribed organisation being punishable with a ten year prison sentence - so I guess we're not as free as we thought! :shock:

Well, as you say there yourself, ALL of them then, clearly. As for my opinion, I think you've made offensive remarks about everybody except white british people who share your views on deportation - oh, and the residents of Tonga. Although I'm sure omitting the Tongans from your abuse was accidental.... Every asylum seeker is a liar, every immigrant is a sponger, every religious person is a lunatic, anyone who gives anyone a fair chance is that worst of creatures, a liberal and anyone who disagrees with you is mentally incompetent. All you do some days is rant and spew insults.

As for "back to topic", that legal measure is there to protect our majority right to freedom from the minority who think it's their right to hurt people as long as they can come up with an excuse for doing it. Free speech is one thing; free rein to terrorise and threaten and abuse is quite another. As for membership of banned organisations, well, even a loopy liberal like me is happy to surrender my freedom to join BombersRUs. You'll be saying next that arresting people for belonging to paedophile rings is a terrible loss of civil liberty!