Privacy ???

Guest tonymailman

I am frowning. Anyone can decline this scan and opt for the usual "pat-down". So clearly, anyone with anything to hide is going to decline. So how does that scan increase the chances of spotting trouble? :?

Alas the nutters who are intent upon causing mayhem are now hiding things internally and hence the need for a body scan. Maybe if they are caught, they themselves should be the subject of a controlled explosion.

I am frowning. Anyone can decline this scan and opt for the usual "pat-down". So clearly, anyone with anything to hide is going to decline. So how does that scan increase the chances of spotting trouble? :?

Alas the nutters who are intent upon causing mayhem are now hiding things internally and hence the need for a body scan. Maybe if they are caught, they themselves should be the subject of a controlled explosion.

Precisely my point - they can decline this scan and opt for a pat-down, so we're back to square one, aren't we? And there's absolutely no way you can perform a cavity search without permission or a warrant, for which you need to show reasonable cause to a magistrate. Otherwise, it's assault.

But that is what this scanner does I thought. :?

Once again for those who can't read all the way down the original article - the scanner is optional. Anyone who does not wish to be scanned can opt for the traditional pat-down type of search.

Therefore you have a choice of making a scan compulsory and invading everyone's privacy, or basically wasting a lot of money on a gadget that only the innocent and uninhibited will agree to use. No point scanning anyone who agrees to it, is there?

But if you make it compulsory, then you have naked images of celebs floating about - and would they scan the Queen? :shock:

And more seriously, what's the legal position with children? Naked images of kids? Or a loophole that allows nutters to use kids to smuggle on whatever?

You raise some very good points there LymmP and ones that had not actually occurred to me :oops:

Maybe if there weren't so many human rights these days they could have just used the device without telling anyone what it was actually doing but of course that would not overcome some of the issues you have mentioned.

As for the images I thought they were immediately deleted if they showed nothing... but then again that is reliant on the operators discretion and integrity.

Just think how much the tabloids would offer for celeb shots including proof of false boobs and other enhancements :lol:

Could be a tempting amount of money for some :shock:

Oooh and there was me just thinking "what's all the fuss about it's no big deal"... :?

Even more reason to just scan ALL people without having to tell them. :wink:

Of course there would always be the usual numpties who complain about infringement of their human rights blah blah blah.

Maybe they would eventually all stop complaining if they were told the nice chap behind them in the queue to board flight had been found to have a time controlled bomb stuck up his ar*e which was only detected by the secret scanner :wink:

Or drug smugglers, or hijackers - and in order to legislate for the few nutters out there, you invariably penalise everyone who's just going for a week on the beach or to see their Aunt Elsie.

I don't know what the answer is - optional scans are a waste of time, compulsory scans are an invasion, all scans are open to abuse and selective scans for groups or individuals considered "likely" to be mules, bombers, hijackers or whatever - well, that's going to provide about twenty billion lawsuits a year, isn't it?

I suppose it's a reasonable way of narrowing the suspect pool if the innocent agree to the scans. Just the refusers left for the sniffer dogs, lie detectors and rubber gloves! :lol:

Have you flown recently Diz? It's all to do with this business of having to take off your jacket, remove your belt and shoes, empty your pockets and still having to go through the metal detector. The X-Ray machine does away with all that so long as you are prepared to have some bored character watching a screen look at a vague outline of your body and, possibly, notice the machine pistol stuffed down the back of your knickers. Very possibly the whole terror threat has been overhyped but you can't really blame the authorities taking their usual "more than my jobsworth" stance so anything that makes it easier for the traveller is welcome. 8)8)