The Premiership Champions

wolfie

Congratulations to Manchester United on winning the Premiership for a record breaking 11th time.

Highlight of the season for us also rans was the 4-1 drubbing of the Champions at the Theatre of Clowns :lol: and a rare league double :D

It is most unusual for the team which wins the mini league of the top four, and score the most goals in the season and keep the most clean sheets, remain unbeaten at home and achieve the most away victories, not to win the league.

Liverpool's generosity to some of the league minnows at Anfield cost them dearly and when it came down to it United had that extra slice of luck which is always needed to lift any trophy.

There's always next year :roll:

....... and Liverpool fans I know are even more desperate to win the PREMIER league title at least once!! :lol:

It is always a comfy way out for them to think that United are now Level with them on winning 18 but it isn't really the case is it?

If you look at the records the change in the rules from two points to three for a win was what did Liverpool in - the first year of the Premiership.

Liverpool had spent the best part of five decades perfecting a boot room system that created the greatest all conquering team in Europe - so then they changed the rules to give someone else a chance.

I've not bothered to do the sums but if it was still the old way I bet Liverpool would have been top of the league this season.

They can't get away from the mentality of playing to avoid defeat, rather than playing for the win - that was certainly the case for the first half of the season. Everton at home was a classic example. They dominated Everton for most of ther game, went 1-0 up with a stunner from Gerrard and then sat back on the lead.

:cry:

The 3 points for a win rule came into being in 1981 to 1982 season, the Premiership began in 1992 Gary, so I think you're clutching at straws. Plus apparently statistics show it wouldn't have made any difference over the years anyway. See this:

http://tinyurl.com/ad87zs

In any case I believe the Fat Spanish Waiter says that its because Man U has more money than him (no mention of the fact that he has wasted a lot of the money he did have on rubbish players!) and because Liverpool hasn't got it's new shiny stadium yet.

Better luck next time is all I can say. :wink::wink::lol::lol:

The 3 points for a win rule came into being in 1981 to 1982 season, the Premiership began in 1992 Gary, so I think you're clutching at straws. Plus apparently statistics show it wouldn't have made any difference over the years anyway. See this:

http://tinyurl.com/ad87zs

Better luck next time is all I can say. :wink::wink::lol::lol:

Well it was worth a try!! At least I am not hiding like most Liverpool fans! :roll::wink:

I've also just worked out that United would still be top by one point if it was still the old system - having said that it would all still be down to the last game! :shock:

So if we beat Spurs and United fail to beat Hull I will take some slight comfort that if we turned back the clock to 1981/82 Liverpool would have been crowned Champions! :oops::roll:

(Still clutching at straws!)

No point hiding!

There's always next year and I think if Liverpool can keep Gerrard and Torres fit and sign a couple of extra quality players they will be United's main challengers next season.

To be fair I also think Liverpool have now become the most entertaining team to watch.

Especially when they put 4 in the back of the Old Trafford net!

Never seen the Theatre of Clowns empty so quickly! :roll::wink:

Interesting that practically every caller on Radio Merseyside last night blamed Benitez for Poo not winning the league.

Wherehas Benitez is blaming everyone/everything else.

Halfway through the season he was blaming the directors who weren't speaking to each other. Then he blamed the fact that he didn't have overall control of spending, Then he blamed the so called preferential treatment of Fergie. Then he blamed the easier run in of United :?:? and now he is blaming it all on the basis that United are richer and have more money to spend. Is this the same United who are ?650m in debt??? And does the fact that Benitez spent more than Fergie on players last season count for nothing :?:?

He and Poo may well have come second and next season may well be challenging again, but he is slowly losing all credibility with other managers ( Moyes and Allerdyce to name 2) his playing staff and the fans. Don't forget that this is the second year on the bounce that Poo have won nothing. One more season like that and it could be his last.