York....the first bit of luck for ages..

Let's not count our chickens just yet. Saints only managed a 4-0 victory at the Taffs at the weekend and I can remember Leigh Miners giving the Wire a run for our money a few years ago when we had a more respectable team than we have now. Nothing motivates a team better than when they are dismissed as the underdogs.

1976-2008(inclusive) were also *the year* of the Wire. 32 years since we last won owt worth shouting about AND in those days you could stand where you liked(no yellow steps)...enjoy a roll-up and take a deadly thermos flask for a half-time beverage plus you could also use the occasional curse word.

As an aside...I've noticed the players wearing high-vis vests when warming up...Is this another example of the modern health and safety idiocy?

Didn't want to start a new thread with this little moan( I never moan do I?) but out of curiosity I went on the national rail enquiries web site on Monday with a view of perhaps travelling to Cockneyland to watch the Wire. I was shocked to find out the cost. 135 quid for a day return !! Obviously I'm not going to divvy up that kind of cash for a day trip to the land of the jellied eel. I've got a diesel powered car and I estimate the cost of the diesel would be around 35 quid. Considering that the car can potentially take 5 people which would cost(including tube tickets) around 700 quid if the journey was undertaken by rail. It's little wonder that people are reluctant to let the train take the strain.

Didn't want to start a new thread with this little moan( I never moan do I?) but out of curiosity I went on the national rail enquiries web site on Monday with a view of perhaps travelling to Cockneyland to watch the Wire. I was shocked to find out the cost. 135 quid for a day return !! Obviously I'm not going to divvy up that kind of cash for a day trip to the land of the jellied eel. I've got a diesel powered car and I estimate the cost of the diesel would be around 35 quid. Considering that the car can potentially take 5 people which would cost(including tube tickets) around 700 quid if the journey was undertaken by rail. It's little wonder that people are reluctant to let the train take the strain.

Bet your glad you didn't go now!! York for the cup! :oops: