Best time historically?

observer

• 1 month later...

Rome? In which period of the 500 year era? Marcus Aurelius or Trajan or ??? I'd like to time travel myself. See some of the Bible stories in person, some of the explorers finding new lands, spend five years aboard the Beagle, become a disciple of Confucius, be a handsome court officeholder with Catherine the Great, hear the actual symphonies of Beethoven as presented in his lifetime, hear the actual virtuosity of Nicolo Paganini, be a servant in the villa of George Sand and Frederic Chopin, and perhaps be a Brit born in 1950 and coming of age in 1963 to the sounds of Beatles.

Or, being a disciple of Gautama Siddharta in India, or dying with Leonidas at Thermopolae, or being a brother to Cyrano, or on a ship with Leif the Red, or aboard a ship with Adm. Byrd in Antarctica, or a player in Shakespeare's time, or Squanto at the arrival of the foreigners...

Or times and places I would not wish to live: Germany 1933-1945, France 1780 - 1830, Mexico 1600 - 2009...

Probably for me the 1980's when I was running at my peak and Warrington Athletic Club were a dominant force on the road and cross country.

However as I'm now approaching my third age I am hoping for a revival ONCE I GET THE BITS AND BOBS WORKING AGAIN AND AGAIN. I never run as well but as long as I can run again that will do for me. Especailly if I can get to the top of Rivington Peak on Easter Friday - there's a glorious view well worth the sweat and pain. :D I think I finished almost last a few years ago and even my old club mate Ron Hill beat me and the great Mark Kinch who used to dominate the fells for Warrington was back competing.

Good point, Obs. My family is cursed (blessed) with missing all our military adventures. My dad was born in 1912 -- missed the Great War and was in this 30s with children when the Axis needed a pasting. I was born in 1936, so I was 14 when the Korean War came, and married with children when the French needed help in Viet-nam. I wanted my son to attend the Naval Academy and he was invited - being a math and science scholar-athlete, but he declined the military life and the nation's foreign bungles as well. My grandson is 18 at this very moment, but things seem to be winding down.

• 2 weeks later...