Meat loaf anyone?

Tilly

Because she wants tried and true recipes Gary!!

Meatloaf -

1 large onion, chopped (also can add finely chopped green pepper)

2 lbs lean ground beef

1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs - can sub this with quaker oats for a more firm texture - I like it both ways

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

2/3 cup catsup

Chop the onion fine , add it to the ground beef and then add the eggs and bread crumbs. I mix this with my hands - its quicker and better. Then add the ketchup and salt and pepper. Mix well until you can form a loaf.

Put it in a un-greased pan and place it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45- 1 hour. Sometimes I put a bit of ketchup on the top at the end to give it a bit of a glaze.

If you have any left over - refrigerate then make meatloaf sandwich's, using your fave condiments ( mayo, ketchup, mustard, etc...)

My children love it - hope you do too.

My mother used to make this with 1/3 pound pork, 1/3 pound veal & 1/3 pound beef. That was too expensive for me so I changed it.

Mary, that's pretty much the recipe at my house -- my mother and my wife followed it, but often my mother puts a couple strips of bacon on the top as it goes into the oven, the pork fat lends some tasty juice to the loaf.

Back when I was in high school, the cafeteria served 'ham loaf' which is half ground beef and half ground ham. It was 35 cents -- the more expensive line, while the 25 cent line featured less expensive meats or casseroles. My sister duplicated the ham loaf at home a few times, but couldn't get the taste just right like the school cafeteria could do.

If you use the quaker oats rather than breadcrumbs it also exfoliates your skin on your hands... gets rid of all the dry flakey patches because of the consistency and the oats actually condition your hands :lol::wink:

Admit it..... you weren't actually kidding about the finger nails though were you :wink::P