Tories make fuel price promise

Mary

Tories have said they would slash fuel tax to help families cope with soaring prices.

Shadow chancellor George Osborne announced a Fair Fuel Stabiliser, linking duty levels to oil costs.

He said: "What this would mean is that when the price of oil goes up the fuel duty comes down to help families.

"But the quid pro quo is that when the price of oil falls the duty goes up.

"So Government is sharing the pain of rising oil prices, but Government is also sharing the gain when oil prices fall."

The move would have cut 5p off the price of a litre of petrol or diesel if it had been introduced at the last Budget.

Motoring groups welcomed the proposals but the Government branded the Conservatives "dishonest", saying the policy would leave a "massive hole" in public finances.

:roll:

Motoring groups welcomed the proposals but the Government branded the Conservatives "dishonest", saying the policy would leave a "massive hole" in public finances.

:roll:

Think there is already a massive hole there, it will be for an incoming Government to find it as the current lot are keeping it well hidden...they make ENRON look honest, little hint for them.....PFI contracts and state employees pension funds...to name just two. :wink:

On the subject of fuel, it is a "distress purchase" and as such most people, moan as they might, will end up paying the going rate...and governments will use it as an easy way to raise tax...in large amounts. All this is evidenced by the petrol queues if there are signs of shortage.

Of course since it is unlikely that there will be a General Election until mid 2010, Mr Osborne's proposals might alter.

true enough, but it coming to something when a local councillor can earn 50 grand a year from attending a few meetings a week! (I don't mean Paul of course.....)

By that score I would be on a million quid a year!

For those of us not in the know what's a 'Comm Ch' and who are you talking about?

If we have a newly elected councillor who is either a :

Common Chav

Community Chimpanzee

Commendable Character

I'd like to know :P

For those of us not in the know what's a 'Comm Ch' and who are you talking about?

If we have a newly elected councillor who is either a :

Common Chav

Community Chimpanzee

Commendable Character

I'd like to know :P

Fair comment

Committee Chairman or Committee Chair or Committee Chairperson

mind you all of your versions could, in some circumstances, be applicable

I have to abbreviate 'cos I only type with one finger. :wink::D