Season of goodwill ?

Observer II

I approached a guy begging in Sankey St today, and asked him, "Don't the Council run a night shelter?"  To which he replied. " It's full of junkies and Rumanians".  So I suggested he moves his pitch to the Town Hall steps.   For all I know, he could have been a junkie, but if the Council run a night shelter, surely it's supervised and taking drugs on site is banned ?   :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2023 at 9:46 AM, Observer II said:

It's about supervision and enforcement Sid.  Now I don't know, but maybe they want to give druggies a place to shoot up, I don't know, but nowadays it wouldn't surprise me ! It's apparently the case in Scotland. :rolleyes:

odd that you blindly accepted what he said!!, have you any other proof

You two should grow up and stop this silly name calling. Homeless people on our streets is something nobody wants to see and there needs to be a solution before it gets any worse. I’ve seen first-hand what can happen when the problem isn’t addressed, where whole areas become tent cities full of drug users and down and outs.

I don’t know the solution but arguing it like this is a total waste of time and your life.

Bill 😊

No, I guess we can’t Obs because spending money to help the likes of beggars, drug users and dare say it, asylum seekers won’t win them any votes. In any case, as far as I know, it’s never been the government’s duty to provide shelter for the homeless, that’s always been done by the church and charitable organisations.

I was in Liverpool last week and it was far worse than we see here. Aside from all those in doorways, people with signs were mixing with the traffic at road junctions begging for help, and a high proportion of these all looked foreign. Look into their eyes and you see and sense absolute desperation, then that cynical streak we all have in us kicks in and asks if this is all just part of their act. Maybe it is and maybe it isn’t but for sure it’s uncomfortable and you end up looking the other way or pretending you didn’t see them.

We took them all off the streets during Covid but just moving them out of sight doesn’t address the reason they are out there.

I don’t believe for one moment that that this is a lifestyle choice because nobody in their right mind would choose or prefer to live this way.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

Well, while the Gov and opposition struggle with the issue of housing, and talk only of building on the green belt and flood plains;  the answer lies about 20ft above the problem.   Instead of folk living rough in shop doorways, perhaps if the upper floors of Town Centre shops were converted into flats, we could re-populate and rejuvenate our decayed Town Centres ?     :unsure:

18 hours ago, Observer II said:

Instead of folk living rough in shop doorways, perhaps if the upper floors of Town Centre shops were converted into flats, we could re-populate and rejuvenate our decayed Town Centres ?     :unsure:

That would not help the homeless as they tend not to have the money to pay the sort of rent that would be charged for prime town centre flats.

There are plenty of folk who are still living with parents cos they can't afford to buy a house, flats above shops would provide homes to rent, and re=populate Town Centres, providing customers for business.  As for the destitute homeless, night shelters/  soup kitchens cold be provided by Local Authorities and Charities.  :unsure:

You’d think unused space above shops would be snapped up by property developers either to sell on or rent out so what’s stopping them from doing this? I can only assume it might be difficult to get planning permission and or maybe some of the buildings might even be listed.

The thing is, if work like this is done by property developers rather than some charitable organisation then they’re going to subject to market prices which will put them beyond the reach of those that need the help. Overall it wouldn’t make much of a dent in the numbers of homeless and I doubt it would take any people off the streets.

What it would encourage is for places like this to be used as a place to stay during the week rather than commuting and the proof of that is my son does exactly this. His home and family are in Crosby but during the week he stays in a newly built one bed apartment in Warrington.

If you’re still talking of people in doorways, then this idea isn’t the answer.

Bill 😊