Misgendering ?

Observer II

As androgynous defined as having the appearance of both sexes then perhaps the best way is to call them all ANDY's  and see if that offends anybody, apart from people called Andrew.

another option is to call anybody who wants to 'identify' as non binary UNISEX or even NEWT's (neutrals)

It is amazing how much media coverage can be wrung out of probably two or three people complaining that they are offended, which then leads to a mass of others jumping on the "actually i am offended as well" band wagon.

Like most people, I’ve never had to deal with such a situation, but if anyone did object to me using the term, he/she him/her, then I’d only have one thing to say. Goodbye!

I suspect this is one of those stories you find on the internet that tries to make something out of nothing to get click revenue, and the fact that we’re discussing it here shows it’s working.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but there’s probably more people abducted by aliens than those who believe this is an offence.

Bill 😊

I suppose it could happen by mistake if say a real woman wore her hair and dressed in a way that made it difficult to tell. In that case a simple sorry should suffice but if they got stroppy about it, then I’d have no issue in pointing out that they created the confusion, not me.

As for that council meeting, I’d offer to close the door behind him for turning a meeting into something more akin to a party game. That sort of behaviour doesn’t do the gay community any favours and I’d bet that many would be cringing at his unrepresentative and childish behaviour.

Bill 😊

But they are childish Bill,  I'm not sure whether they class themselves as "gay",  as non-binary is sort of something in between, I guess it would depend on their mood for that day or given they like to be addressed as they or them, implies there's more than one of them, so maybe they have to have a row and a vote among themselves. The rational mind boggles.    :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, Bill said:

I suppose it could happen by mistake if say a real woman wore her hair and dressed in a way that made it difficult to tell.

reminds me of an amusing incident. when i was about 22 and not that long married i was walking down bridge street. long hair flared trousers cheese cloth shirt and a neatly trimmed beard. i was also a lot slimmer then as well.  i felt a tap on my shoulder and a voice said "excuse me miss". i turned slowly smiled and replied "actually it's Mrs".

the look on the guy's face was priceless. it still makes me chuckle when i think about it.

so it can happen even the other way round.