Mask up again -

Observer II

With a virus still circulating in China, producing new variants; and a rise in cases in Europe; it looks like a pandemic return.   So the more precautions we take now the better.  The first one is - if your feeling sick, temperature, cough and sneezes, stay at home and don't spread it.   If you do go out wear a mask.  Mask wearing is mainly to stop your germs passing onto others, so wear one.    Otherwise, we'll be playing catch up again with lock downs and more deaths.   😷

Yep it’s in the news again but I doubt we’ll get to the point of lockdowns again, at least I hope not. There’s a lot more known about the virus these days unlike at the start where it looked like it could have been extinction event. I think the vaccines and a degree of inherited immunity now make it such that this not much worse than normal flu.

I believe we breath in small amounts of all sorts of viruses every day and provided it’s not a whopping amount, our immune system deals with it without us noticing anything. Too much mask wearing, and isolation and our immune system doesn’t learn. The same thinking probably accounts for why kids these days who don’t play outside, get dirty, eat worms or get cuts and scrapes seem to have more allergies and ailments that we did.

Bill 😊

only if their parents let them i think but not sure if they still do it the same as when i was at school.

Production line injections ,line up, roll up your sleeve, jab, "oouch" , next.two nurses no waiting, forty kids vaccinated in twenty minutes.

It seems these days you need to make an individual appointment and sit for ten minutes answering questions before the injection.

Just a thought, anti vaxers seem to have stopped peddling their tripe lately, have they all died off?.....🤔

• Haha 1

Aside from covid, there seems to be a load of people with bad chesty coughs and catarrh at the moment. Seems everyone you talk to has either had it on knows someone who's had it. The wife’s had it for a week, all the neighbours and my brothers had it bad now for over two weeks. Think I’ve been lucky, then again, I don’t go out that much, but I’m amazed I’ve not caught it off the wife.

Bill 😊

2 hours ago, Bill said:

I don’t go out that much,

i know the feeling bill, my bin goes out more often than me.

The problem i have is my nose. it is forever dribbling, not sure whether to put a cork in it or a tap.

when they said noses run in our family i thought they were referring to the size.

I just talk a load of dribble 😊 I generally get out for a couple of beers twice a week but as a result of all this illness going round, I’ve not been out since the week before Christmas.

As for new variants of covid, I’m no expert but I would have thought they’re a bit like slightly different flavours and if you’ve developed a degree of immunity to one, then you’re likely to have some basic protection. When the omicron variant appeared we all thought the worst, but in the end, it turned out to be less of a problem than its predecessors. Whether it was less virulent or if by that time we’d accumulated some immunity, who knows?

Quite possibly that’s just more dribble. 😊

Bill 😊

experts are like fortune cookies when it comes to predictions, except that the fortune experts tell is never good news unlike fortune cookies which is never bad.

Expert opinions/views are best educated guess based on previous experience of similar events. basically they don't know for certain and so tend to give worst case scenarios to cover themselves. after all if they said "oh it will be just like having a head cold" and it turns out to be deadlier than the black death they would soon be ex-experts

People are still dying from it though and the infection rate is showing a rise again. (as reported on the main news page) so how far you go to protect yourself is currently up to you, but if there is a new variant that kicks off and is nastier than the present one then the government will probably step in again with measures.

The government’s health spokesperson said on the BBC news this morning that overall, we’ve passed the peak of the current spike in covid infections but couldn’t rule out another increase further down the line. She said that on mask wearing, the media had somewhat distorted their advice that masks should be worn by anyone who’s ill and who can’t stay at home but there’s no recommendation for heathy people to wear masks.  

Bill 😊

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it seems we all need to wear masks inside as well as outside the home.   The argument for ULEZ zones is that traffic pollution is adversely affecting pedestrians health.  But it doesn't stop there,  seems they're now blaming gas cookers for the release of particulants in homes, so what next, a tax on gas cookers ?     :rolleyes: