Out of Africa -

Observer II

There have been at least 20 confirmed with advice to isolate for 21 days for those who may have come into contact with an infected person.

Unlike the corona virus monkey pox is usually transmitted by "close physical" contact. (very much like aids is/was transmitted.)

given the fact that it originated in monkeys,one has to wonder what sort of practice the Africans get up to to catch it..........😱

• Haha 1

Thought I heard that this virus has been known about for decades and it’s difficult to catch this unless you’re in extremely close contact with someone that’s infected. Anyway, it seems that most of the infections are occurring amongst non heterosexual groups, so if you avoid any monkey business you'll be fine. 

Bill 😊

That plus the fact that these days we’re being told that homosexuality is the new normal. It’s debatable whether the increase in this pox is due to increased travel or by the increased numbers of the sexually liberated. It’s all related, but for the vast majority of us, this is nothing to worry about and I doubt we’ll end up queuing for pox jab.

Bill 😊

Well Bill, If, like HIV, it "originated" in Africa,  it's merely common sense to blame it's spread on people movement out of Africa.  Remember the case of the Nurse who brought Ebola to the UK, through laxed screening.   Pathogens don't fly themselves, they have to be transported by an animal or human host.   😷

According to the government's website, the 20 cases Sid mentioned were recorded over a period several years and the actual number this year is just 7, and most were specifically linked to medical workers and their relatives who’d travelled to Nigeria.

To put things into perspective, I reckon there’s more chance of winning the EuroMillions jackpot than catching this, and even if you did, the symptoms are extremely mild. In this instance, I can’t see any reason to impose any further restrictions and checks on international travel that would affect everyone.

Bill 😊